Newbie here. It makes sense that "ài" means "love" in the context of hobbies; you're doing what you love. What does "hào" mean here, though? Is it just a strange pronunciation of the standard "hǎo"? Or is it more like "hào" is used to mean "lovely"? Thanks!

• bkrs:hào to be fond of to have a tendency to to be prone to 1) 动 爱、喜爱。 2) 名 心中所喜爱的事。 – user6065 May 12 '17 at 18:50
  • Hi @user6065, thanks for your comment. However, those examples appear to use "ài", not "hào". I already know the meaning of "ài". – JohnnyHammersticks May 12 '17 at 19:49
  • 好(hào) also means [like to / fond of] beside['good / well] – Tang Ho May 12 '17 at 21:17
    Did you try any dictionaries before asking here? Your answer is on yellowbridge.com/chinese/dictionary.php – Colin McLarty May 12 '17 at 21:32
  • ??? "those examples" explain the meaning of 好(hào) in Chinese – user6065 May 12 '17 at 22:43

When a character have multiple similar pronunciations, such as 好 with different tones, it can means different part of speech for the same/similar concept. This phenomenon is called 四声别义. For example:

• 好(hǎo,上声): adjective. good.

好(hào,去声):verb. like.

• 少(shǎo,上声): adjective. few.

少(shào,去声): noun. young people.

• 骑(qí,阳平): verb. ride.

骑(jì,去声): noun. rider (on horse).

• 教(jiāo,阴平): verb. teach.

教(jiào,去声): noun. teaching.

In your question, 好 of 爱好 is a verb. The meaning is similar to 爱. Therefore, people combine these two characters to mean a verb, to like. 爱好 can also be conjugated (called 活用 in Chinese) as a noun, means hobby.

• Chinese verbs can be conjugated?! – Ludi May 16 '17 at 6:42
  • @Ludi Maybe calling it conjugation is inaccurate. What I mean is the part of speech of the words can be flexibly changed, such as noun -> verb, verb -> noun, adj -> verb, etc. – Harry Summer May 16 '17 at 6:50
  • @HarrySummer Thanks for the very thorough answer! So, by using what would otherwise be a verb in a spot where noun should be, you effectively conjugate the word? As in any other language, I'm sure this doesn't apply to all verbs, but it sounds similar to saying "I have my likes and dislikes," as opposed to "I like some things and dislike others." Same word, different part of speech simply by moving it. – JohnnyHammersticks May 18 '17 at 18:45

[粵] hou2 | [國] hao3

(1) [adj] good; fine; nice | [ant] 壞

~

[粵] hou3 | [國] hao4

[v] like; love; be fond of

[v] be liable to; be likely to

Example:

好(hao4)酒= like to drink

好(hao4)賭= like to gamble

愛好= 'love and like' = interest/ hobby

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.