This is my first question here so I don't even kwow if it's permitted to ask this kind of questions.

The fact is that I would like to know the meaning of my name: 费代里科 (fèi dài lǐ kē), which is the phonetic translation of Federico, if I understood well.

• One may wonder whether most Chinese are aware of the common origin of Federico, Friedrich/弗里德里希 (as in Friedrich Engels) Fritz/弗利茨, Fred/福来德. – user6065 Jun 2 '17 at 16:48

I think you should be more "费德瑞克" than 费代里科, as Rico is normally translated into "瑞克", and "de" sounds more similar to "德".

However, I wish that you could understand that normally in Chinese, an individual word can have multiple meanings, and sometimes those meanings are not related. For the 4 words you have presented: 费代里科

费 : If it is used as a noun, it can be a common chinese family name Or fees & fares Or costs; If it is used as a verb, it usually means cost.

代 : This word is usually considered as a verb, means represent/do someone else’s work in his or her place/replace; it can also be a rare Chinese family name, and the noun of represent.

里 : It’s similar to « Inside ».

科 : This is a noun. It can mean subject, family of animals & plants(biologics), a unit of collaborators.

| improve this answer | |

Yes, basically it's the phonetic translation. And no strange word is used.

| improve this answer | |
  • ok. basically I've just tattooed it. Do you think it was a bad idea since it has no particular meaning? – UrbiJr Jun 2 '17 at 15:20
  • This I don't know. Even there is no particular meaning, at least Chinese word looks beautiful. Good luck! – Fisher Jun 2 '17 at 15:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.