This is a quote by Bao Yibo. I understand the meaning of the quote, but the '之为' constrution is kind of throwing me off:

如果把人生比之为杠杆,信念则好像是它的“支点”,具备这个恰当的支点,才可能成为一个强有力的人.

How would I translate this construction?

Many thanks.

• 如果把人生比之为杠杆,之 pronoun referring back to 人生life (one’s time on earth), 为 for "to", "if (human) life is compared/likened to a lever", also note 支点 pivot point; support; supporting point; fulcrum,for more examples enter 之为 into jukuu, examples 1-89 will be relevant, – user6065 Jun 3 '17 at 21:09
  • Rachel, you asked this before here Need a second opinion, or just going batty with too much Chinese? :) – Pedroski Jun 3 '17 at 21:37
  • In previous question chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/21297/… 之为 has different meaning, for present case note "汉语水平考试词典":之[义3]代替人或事物(限于做宾语)(used as an object, used in many 成语):安~ 若素|操~过急|持~以恒|付~一笑|求~不得|取~不尽|束~高阁|逃~夭夭|置~不理|置~度外|不了了~|等闲视~|敬而远~|取而代~|泰然处~|总而言~|以前的秘书小姐被辞退了,取而代~是位中年妇女 – user6065 Jun 3 '17 at 22:52
  • users may wonder whether 之 is superfluous, note use of verb 比 with fronted object and w/o 之:jukuu: 人生常比为蜡烛。On the other hand note more examples with 把: 把...归之于 (之 refers back to ...) 她把自己的成功归之于勤奋。她也不能把这种行为归之任何的误会或误解。cf. redundant object pronouns in Spanish elearnspanishlanguage.com/grammar/pronouns/… – user6065 Jun 4 '17 at 2:23
    Possible duplicate of How to translate 之为 into English? – user3306356 Jun 4 '17 at 2:54

[比] - [] - [] - [杠杆]

[compare(v)] - [it(pronoun)] - [as(adverb)] - [lever(object-noun)]

之 here follows the verb 比. It functions as a pronoun for the indirect object 人生.

为 here functions as an adverb for the verb 比. [比为] = [compare as]

[教师] - [] - [] - [教]

[teacher(n)] - ['s(possessive particle)] - [preform(auxiliary verb)] - [teaching(v)]

为 (being) here is an auxiliary verb for the main verb 教

之 here follows the subject noun 教师 , it is a possessive particle that indicate 教师 possess the clause 为教

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.