Our book just introduced 風景 as scenic view, landscape. Now it introduces 風光 as "scenery". The book is very basic. It typically doesn't introduce alternative vocabulary. So I am trying to spot any differences.

Would you perhaps use 風光 in a city and 風景 in nature? Like:

天色很藍,雲都反映落日的紅光,落日時的北京真是一個漂亮的風光。

Or:

西湖上有一座白色的橋,湖邊的樹很多,樹下的花紅紅綠綠,落日時的西湖真是一的漂亮的風景。

Feel free to correct. The sentences are mine and I always make mistakes.

「風」 in 「風景」 and 「風光」 carries the meaning of :

1. 'Style': as in 「和風」 (Japanese style) and 「作風」(style of behavior)

2. 'air; atmosphere' - (something that creates moods and evokes feelings)

「景」 in 「風景」 carries the meaning of 'scene/ sight' -- the picture you see in your eyes, as in 「奇景」(strange sight),「場景」(scene in a play)

The term 「風景」 (sight/ scenery) specifically refers to 'the sight of a landscape or a natural scenery' as in 「看風景」(watching the natural scenery )

「光」in 「風光」refers to 'light', which is needed to enable people to see -- in another word: 'sight'.

The term「風光」 generally refers to 'sight/ scene /scenery'

For example:「異國風光」(sights and scenes of foreign country) ;「園林風光」(sights and scenes of garden and forest)

Of course it includes 'landscape or a natural setting' For example: 「西湖風光」. Therefore 「風光」and「風景」are interchangeable in this sense. (You can write 「西湖風景」instead of 「西湖風光)

Unlike 「風景」, 「風光」can also be used metaphorically.

• 風光大葬」(scenic funeral = impressive, dignified funeral)

• 風光了幾十年」( have been a sight to behold for decades = have been awesome for decades)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.