I am working in a Chinese pharmacy & have a product with the English name "Compound Methylsalicylate cataplasma". This is supposed to be a translation from the Chinese "复方水扬酸甲酯巴布膏".

As far as I know, "cataplasma" is not a word in the English language.

Google translate says "巴布膏" means "Babu cream", but that tells me next to nothing, while nciku.com has no results.

  • 1
    I have always had a ton of difficulty with finding translations for pharmaceuticals. Good luck! (According to this, a cataplasma is just another word for a poultice.) Commented Nov 2, 2012 at 7:24

1 Answer 1


I am not an expert in this area but online search gave me:

  • Cataplasma is a Spanish word. It could be a typo here. The English version is Cataplasm, Wikipedia says:

    A poultice, also called cataplasm, is a soft moist mass, often heated and medicated, that is spread on cloth over the skin to treat an aching, inflamed, or painful part of the body. It can be used on wounds such as cuts.

  • 巴布膏, according to Baidu Zhidao, means:


From what I read, the narrow meaning of cataplasm and 巴布膏 may not be exactly the same, but in your context they both mean medicated cloth patch applied on skin. I think the translation you've mentioned is accurate.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.