I always find it hard to believe that there is no native Chinese term for stoning.

Chinese execution methods are numerous and varied: 凌迟, 车裂, 斩首, 炮烙, etc, etc.

Stoning always gets translated as: 用石头砸, 拿石头打死, 用石头砸死, 被乱石砸死.

Is there really no native term for stoning? No equivalent execution method? Too pedestrian for the Chinese?

• 中国古代有一种针对出轨女性的刑罚叫作“沉塘”,就是把女人和石头关进一个笼子,让笼子沉到水里。对于扔石头的刑罚,没有听说过。 – Pedroski Jun 19 '17 at 9:18
  • I think the title should be "Is stoning part of Chinese historical execution method" (which I think is not particularly relevant in this forum). Chinese characters are morphemes, so new words (native terms) can be created easily, eg 石刑,炮决,犬决. – jf328 Jun 19 '17 at 12:24

Of course it does.

We called it 石刑。

Please refer to:English Stoning

Chinese Stoning

• What's up with all these weird translations then? – user3306356 Jun 19 '17 at 2:51
  • Please refresh the page to see again. – Jacky X. Jun 19 '17 at 2:52
    Those are the explanation. Like 石刑,即用石头砸,、拿石头打死、 用石头砸死,、被乱石砸死。 – Jacky X. Jun 19 '17 at 2:55
  • @ jacky x. you implied that stoning is used in chinese history. would you provide evidence? – 水巷孑蠻 Jun 19 '17 at 6:03
    @user3306356 asked for what is the correct term for stoning, and I provide him the answer. I didn't imply that stoning is used in Chinese history. :) And so far, for this kind of punishment, there is no record found in China history. – Jacky X. Jun 19 '17 at 6:14

Stoning is rare in the China culture.

First, Chinese society enters imperial dynasty(monarchy) one thousand years earlier than Europe.

Second, this is not because it is more "humane", but imperialism government wants to monopoly the power of capital punishment, with the hope of preventing the people enact the idea of hurling the stones toward the rulers.

Even these may happen during a rebellion, but this is not considered as "punishment".

• Agree, stoning is a common method of mob justice, the imperial courts of China which held all the power, wouldn't allow common people to have the power to carry out capital punishment themselves. – Tang Ho Jun 19 '17 at 17:25
  • I thought China considered stoning too pedestrian – user3306356 Jun 20 '17 at 8:47
  • @user3306356 Dictatorship hates competition. – mootmoot Jun 20 '17 at 9:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.