So I just learned about the etymology of 'AA' from

The origins of "AA制"

I wonder if anyone has a similar response for the phrase 'go dutch'.

It is hard to believe this originated from the Netherlands, seeing that it is quite commonly used in Hong Kong and Mainland China.

I first heard it in a Mainland Chinese TV drama in the English subtitles.

Bonus points if anyone could provide me the traditional and simplified characters for 'go dutch'?

closed as off-topic by Don Kirkby Sep 6 '17 at 4:20

• This question does not appear to be about Chinese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Are you asking about the etymology of the English phrase "to dutch", or are you just repeating the other question? If the former, it's not really for this stackexchange. Presumably the etymology has to do with the ill-will between the British and the Dutch (where the English believed they were stingy bastards). – Stumpy Joe Pete Jul 4 '17 at 9:23
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it seems to be asking about the origins of an English phrase. – Don Kirkby Sep 6 '17 at 4:20

《懶蟲簡明英漢詞典》

go Dutch
verb
各人付自己的帳

Usually, we simply say 各付各的 or 各出各的 in both TC and SC.

Others:
各付各的帳
各付一半帳
各付一半賬
各付帳
各人付自己的帳
各人自付錢
各人自己付錢
各自付錢
各自付帳
各自負擔自己費用

According to the legend of the Anglo-Dutch scramble for colonies and competition for the international trade market, because of the frequent conflict and dislike of the two countries, such usage appeared in English, contrary to the "generous" image of an English gentleman.

各付各的钱,自己付自己的,也会直接说AA。 know more about chinese slangs, you can check here : http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com/article/daily-chinese-learning-tips/chinese-slang-words-you-must-know/

Etymologically, the "AA" in "AA制" is come from "Algebraic Average".(There is no official verdict)

Other origins:

1. Acting Appointment
  2. Late Latin "ana", from German, again

According to: http://baike.baidu.com/item/AA%E5%88%B6

• In addition, www.baidu.com is Chinese Google, you can search what you want (in Chinese) on it. – Anttrush Jul 4 '17 at 8:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.