What is the difference between 犹如  vs 有如? They seem to mean the same thing, are they also the same meaning as 象 ? My Chinese is not good enough to understand dictionary translations. Thank you :)

• Since "Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language."it would seem that users might be expected to be able to use dictionaries.
    – user6065
    Jul 12, 2017 at 21:11

3 Answers 3

carries the meaning of 'like'

also carries the meaning of 'like'

From my answer to another question:

Put two characters with similar meaning together and create a compound word can remove ambiguity. It is very common in coining Chinese words . For example: Both 刚 and 才 carry other meanings, (刚 also means 'hard'; 才 also means 'talent') but '刚才' can only mean 'just'.

'犹如' is a compound word of two characters that carry the meaning of 'like'; 'as if'

have/ possess

'有如'(possess the similar quality) = 'like' ; 'as if'

The two terms seem to be interchangeable, different only in etmology

Examples sentences:

1. 犹如把錢扔進大海 (Like/ As if throw money into the sea)

2. 有如把錢扔進大海 (Like/ As if throw money into the sea)

• I can't agree with " 如 means 'equal to' or 'as same as' ", 1. when 如 used as a single word, it means 'according to; as; as if; for instance; like; such as;', 2. when used like 犹如,both 犹 and 如 mean 'like, similar to, just like, as', so '犹如' means 'similar to' / 'like', and more (metaphorically) similar than just single word 犹 or 如.
    – Snger
    Jul 14, 2017 at 7:34
  • 如 has more than one meaning, 'equal to' and 'as same as' are not wrong ('equal to' is not exactly the same' ). But from my answer to another question : Put two characters with similar meaning together and create a compound word can remove ambiguity. It is very common in coining Chinese words . For example: Both 刚 and 才 carry other meanings, (刚 also means 'hard'; 才 also means 'talent') but '刚才' can only mean 'just'. -- 犹如 too, seem to be a compound word of two similar characters that carry the meaning of 'like'
    – Tang Ho
    Jul 14, 2017 at 7:48
  • I don't think put " 二二如四 (2 X 2 = 4) , 如 means 'equal to' or 'as same as' " here is helpful for understand. 如 in 犹如 is also means 'like, similar to'.
    – Snger
    Jul 14, 2017 at 7:58
    I completely changed my answer, thanks for reminding me
    – Tang Ho
    Jul 14, 2017 at 8:04

With similar meaning, 犹如 is used more widely than 有如, which is only found in the writings like the Four Classics, as far as I know.

As a Chinese student, I also can't tell them exactly 犹如=好像(as if) 有如=就像(be like)enter image description hereenter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.