In English, I can write "At x pages, y." where x pages refers to a document consisting of x number of pages and y is a description of the document. Example: At two pages, the proposed bill is short.

The Chinese equivalent of "at" is "在", however it applies to locations. "Pages" isn't a location in this case, so what would I write to convey "at" here? Or can I use "at" as I do in English?

My best guesses (using the preceding example) are "在兩頁,法案很簡短" and "包括兩頁,法案很簡短", but it's not clear to me whether either is correct.

• 以长度(为)x页,该法案很简短
    – user6065
    Jul 21 '17 at 7:11
  • according to jukuu and google translate 长度 is possible for length of a document, but 页数 seems to be another possibility
    – user6065
    Jul 21 '17 at 8:00
  • regarding use of 就。。。而论,就。。。来说(说来,看)see comment #2 of chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/25506/… -> 就x为页数而论,法案很簡短 see answers
    – user6065
    Jul 21 '17 at 15:14
  • I think you'd switch the logic for Chinese, basically you'd say "for a x it's very y."
    – Mou某
    Jul 21 '17 at 15:35

The Chinese way to say "At x pages, y."

1a. "x pages 就 y 而言"

Example: 一百頁就小說而言真是很短" (one hundred pages for a novel is really short)

2a. "就 y 而言, x pages"

Example: 就小說而言, 一百頁真是很短" (for a novel, one hundred pages is really short)

or

1b. "x pages 以/ 對 y 來說, "

2b. "/ 對 y 來說, x pages"

1a, 1b are more literary

2a, 2b are more colloquial

Chinese do not have equivalent expression. Some similar ones:

对于法案来说, 两页不算长.

针对法案而言, 2页很短.

只有两页的方案, 算短的.

两页的方案算短的.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.