Both seems to mean "to enter". I had a feeling that the 入 is more "to put into" while the 进 is "to enter" ? But I also saw the "entrence" using 入.

• see dictionaries (usage examples, esp. jukuu) and grammars, 入,进 when used by themselves often interchangeable, on the other hand 进 (not 入) functions as simple complement of direction (趋向补语), 进来/去 are compound 趋向补语,例如:1。趋向意义:上课了,学生们走进教室。我眼看着那只美丽的小鸟飞进了树林。2。结果意义:表示"凹陷"例如:墙上凹进一块,很显眼。他的额头瘪进一块。 – user6065 Jul 22 '17 at 19:47
  • regarding 入 as complement of direction (see answer), it seems it cannot be used as freely as 进 (e.g. 入 is not in "实用现代汉语语法"'s list of 趋向补语),小马词典 examples:加入,投入,侵入,and more – user6065 Jul 22 '17 at 20:26
  • zhidao.baidu.com/question/743951211945316012.html 但“进”的用途比“入”要更广泛一些。一般而言,“进”可以代替“入”,而“入”不一定可以代替“进” – user6065 Jul 22 '17 at 21:31
  • 他可以“进” 而不“入”。 入 means he will be in (a room, etc), while 进 is an action or trial only (he try to enter but there are possiblity something/somebody blocks him). just like you "look to" east but "see" nothing. – Daniel Yeung Sep 8 '17 at 5:25
  • If you think you got an appropriate answer, please consider making it as an accepted answer by tapping on the tick icon. – Blaszard Oct 13 '17 at 18:20

入 (to put into/ to enter into)

进 (to advance/ to advance and enter)

进入 (advance into/ to enter) is a compound word

• 进(advance) is the main verb

• 入(into) is the resultative/ directional verb particle

As far as I have seen, personally, I see 入口 used as a noun, and 进 used as a verb.

• see Q: "entrence" using 入:入口,小马词典 has 58 words (nouns and verbs) starting with 入: – user6065 Jul 23 '17 at 5:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.