What is the Chinese term for a DGEN gambler or a Degen Gambler, this phrase is usually used not in a bad way by pro gamblers who considers themselves or others DGEN/Degen gamblers as they thrive and live on gambling.

How would this be translated into Chinese in a way that it does not mean Degenerate which is considered a very bad word in itself.

It's hard to gather a euphemism for Degen Gambler in Chinese. No best words/phrases I figure. 职业扑克玩家 (Professional Pokerist) is the best one I can get.

hope this help.

赌棍 is the best you're gonna get.

There are very few translations of DGEN -or- Degen. The only one I came across was on 扑克人 which says:

堕落故事

译注:原帖标题为“Degen Stories”。Degen是Degenrate的缩写,意思是“堕落的”、“落魄的”、“穷困潦倒的”。Degen Stories差不多就是“很衰的事情”、“很背的事情”的意思(还有一点no zuo no die的味道)。

Degen here is translated as:

• 堕落 = worsening of morals

• 落魄 = to be down on one's luck

• 穷困潦倒 = to be down and out

These are all quite negative and mean exactly what you didn't want them to mean: degenerate.

The negative meaning of DGEN -or- Degen does seem to be pretty overwhelming in English as well, but obviously not exclusively, so our above translations are all out.

CC-CEDICT translates 赌棍 as:

1 hardened gambler

2 professional gambler

现代汉语大词典 says:

沉溺于赌博,并以此为生的人

which very roughly translates as an obsessive gambler, who does it for a living.

But it can also refer to any obsessive gambler in general.

I think this is the closest you'll get for what you want to express.

赌徒 could also work but this is more of a derogatory term for a hobby gambler.

赌神 could also work, borrowing from the movie, a word that literally means gambling god but could refer to anyone who is masterful at gambling.

• Well, 赌棍 does not appear positive at all. 赌棍 sounds even a bit worse than 赌徒. – dan Aug 16 '17 at 5:05

Definition of 'Degen Gambler'

http://pokerterms.com/degenerate.html

A personality type, common amongst poker players, that is typified by an abundance of self-destructive behavior.

Common Degen Habits

There are a variety of "degenerate behavior" patterns that poker players have been known to embrace. They include, but are not limited to:

• Pit gambling

• Drug use

• Excessive spending

• Sports betting

• Hookers and strippers

I would translate Degen Gambler as 病態賭徒 (sick/ symptomatic gambler)

'Degen' stands for 'degenerate'

The thing that is degenerating in a degen Gambler is his mental health, which causes all kinds of symptoms in the forms of destructive behaviors.

When someone's mental health degenerates to a certain point, his behaviors will become symptomatic of that mental illness.

When we say someone is a 病態賭徒, it means gambling has took over of his life, and he is on the path of self destruct. At this point, he really need professional help from psychology doctor.

Matt Douhan wrote:

This phrase is usually used not in a bad way by pro gamblers who considers themselves or others DGEN/Degen gamblers as they thrive and live on gambling.

Obviously a professional gambler would not consider himself sick. A professional gambler calling himself 'degen gambler' or 'sick gambler' (病態賭徒) is akin to a scientist calling himself 'mad scientist' (瘋狂科學家) to express how devoted he is to his endeavor.

A professional gambler may consider his devotion to gambling is so deep, it qualifies as a sickness-- 'sick gambler' (病態賭徒).

Borrowing the mad scientist example, 'degen gambler' may even be translated as '瘋狂玩家' (mad player)

• I understand that degenerate part but amongst pro gamblers like myself we don't consider degen to be such a negative meaning as the word itself implies meaning degen is almost a positive version of degenerate – Matt Douhan Aug 16 '17 at 5:13
  • See the comment I added at the bottom of my post. – Tang Ho Aug 16 '17 at 5:20
  • I see the update to your answer but how to reflect that in Chinese characters translation ? – Matt Douhan Aug 16 '17 at 5:23
  • A professional gambler may consider his devotion to gambling is so deep, it qualifies as a sickness-- 'sick gambler' (病態賭徒) – Tang Ho Aug 16 '17 at 5:30
  • looks like we need create one :) – dan Aug 16 '17 at 5:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.