I'm not sure whether the phrase has a typo in it or not because I couldn't find the proper translation from MDBG, Ichacha or Ichiba. However, I did find an example:

中国的5000年悠久历史、丰富多样的风俗文化以及无处不在的神秘感,让许多外国人心驰神往,遐想连篇。

China’s 5000 year history, the variety of its customs and cultures, and its general mystique, have always pulled on the hearts and imagination of westerners.

I take '遐想连篇' here means making you imagining or drawing your imagination out.

I'm not sure I got the correct meaning though. I think sometimes it doesn't make any sense. For example: 'Pulling (your) imagination' make sense in 让人遐想连篇的小说, but not in 让人遐想连篇的话语

Do you have a better way to put the phrase '遐想连篇' in english?

• 遐想连篇 is commonly used especially in written. another similar one is "浮想联翩", which is the same in meaning. – dan Aug 20 '17 at 1:00

遐想 means 'reverie; fantasy; day dream'

篇 is a classifier for 'article', as in 一篇文章 (an article)

连篇 means 'one (article) after another'

Since fantasy is an imagined story in one's head, 篇 is a correct classifier.

"遐想连篇" in English is "one fantasy after another" or " one day dream after another" (day dream is fantasy)

Other examples of 连篇 as "one after another" with 篇 as a classifier:

• 谎话连篇 - one lie after another (a lie is a made-up story)

• 废话连篇 - one bullshit after another (bullshit is the same as nonsensical article-- both are telling nonsensical story)

'遐' means "far away"; '遐想' literally means " far away thought" (a thought that is far away from reality)

• And thereI was, wondering what 连篇 means.... It makes sense now, thanks – Fai91 Aug 20 '17 at 6:04

中国的5000年悠久历史、
The Middle Kingdom's 5000 year long history,
丰富多样的风俗文化
rich and diverse customs and culture
以及无处不在的神秘感,
as well as its all-pervasive feeling of mystery,
让许多外国人心驰神往,
fascinates and infatuates many a foreigner,
遐想连篇。
causing endless flights of fancy and imagination.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.