Example: 人们会急火攻心

Does it mean 'heart was attacked with anxiety/anxiousness'? Therefore in the example it would mean people's heart would be anxious?

• web search: baike.com/wiki/%E6%80%A5%E7%81%AB%E6%94%BB%E5%BF%83 : ....急火攻心是指心情发火,突然不省人事。... means losing one's temper, abruptly losing consciousness. therefore: people will lose their temper ..."idiom" in doubt: 急火攻心 does not seem to be particularly widely used, jukuu has 1 sample, LINE dictionary has 3 with 邪火攻心 "excessive internal heat", – user6065 Aug 21 '17 at 5:53
  • (re: answer #1) although 急火攻心 literally may mean "hot fire attacks heart", "heart attack" seems to be an even more serious event often leading to death (in comment #1, between "," and "abruptly" insert "to the extent of") – user6065 Aug 21 '17 at 8:09
  • 攻心 is a compound, with 心 not necessarily meaning "heart", "现代汉语词典"(1)从精神上或心理上瓦解对方:~战术。(2)俗称因悲痛、愤怒而神志昏迷为‘怒气功心’,因浑身溃烂或烧伤而发生生命危险为‘毒气功心’或‘火气功心’ – user6065 Aug 21 '17 at 8:26

It's a sudden heart attack by something unpleasant and unexpected, let's say a bombshell.

《國語辭典》

急火攻心
因情緒太過激動,而造成身心一時的不適。
Because the emotion is too excited, and cause physical and mental discomfort.

There are 50 example sentences on the ichacha site.

I don't know anything about Traditional Chinese Medicine or 'excessive internal heat'.

Reading this explanation, I think you could, at least in some contexts, simply translate '急火攻心' as 'stress'.

"人由于在生活感情中遇到一些不舒心的事情,没有很好的适当的发泄出来,积压在心里。 最后导致疾病。"

• I wasn't even aware that it was a medical term, i thought it was a modern idiom.... I have a gist of what it means now but still confused on how to put it in English – Fai91 Aug 22 '17 at 1:39
  • 急火攻心 is a type of disease. I'm not quite sure if it's an idiom, but it can be used as idiom I think. It's often used like 结果他急火攻心就... 他一时急火攻心就晕倒了。由于急火攻心,他病倒在床上了。 You can use it to describe the situation when some thing bad happened, which lead a person sickness. – dan Aug 22 '17 at 2:43
  • In fact, I wasn't even aware it is a disease as it is used often as a phrase in the daily life. – dan Aug 22 '17 at 2:50

Basic explanation refers to the mental illness caused by a person's lack of proper venting due to some uncomfortable things in life

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.