In the following sentence:

昨天晚上我们在一起聊天,___忽然停电了。

To fill in the blank, I picked up 说着说着, but the correct answer was 躺着躺着.

The other two candidates were 跳着跳着 and 走着走着, and I even think these are correct as well... because the electrocity can suddenly stop even if you jump, walk, speak, or laid down.

Why is 躺着躺着 correct here? And what is the reason the verb + 着 is repeated here?

Based on grammar, all of the candidates are correct. Based on the author of this quetion, the author's choice is correct.'
    – sfy
    Aug 22, 2017 at 13:03
  • 躺着躺着 sounds weird.
    – fefe
    Aug 23, 2017 at 1:31
  • @fefe This was a grammar test on EasyMandarin website. Then which sounds more natural?
    – Blaszard
    Aug 23, 2017 at 2:25
    I agree with @dan . "聊着聊着" is better. “说着说着” is good.
    – fefe
    Aug 23, 2017 at 2:40

3 Answers 3

We say "verb 着 verb 着" to express that "In the middle of (our) doing sth."

So 躺着躺着就停电了 means "When we were lying, the electricity went out." (Or "In the middle of our lying...")

Usually this means "In the middle something" so don't use it if you mean "when we have just started sth."

• Thanks but then doesn't 走着走着 also make sense? "When we were walking (in the room) the electricity runs out"...?
    – Blaszard
    Aug 22, 2017 at 12:59
  • @Blaszard Yes! Exactly! In the middle of walking, something happened.
    – iBug
    Aug 22, 2017 at 13:00
  • Grammatically correct, but why are you walking in the room?
    – jf328
    Aug 23, 2017 at 13:04

According to this context, 说着说着 is correct to me. 昨天晚上我们在一起聊天,说着说着忽然停电了。 The hint is 聊天, so either 聊着聊着 or 说着说着 makes sense in the context.

...着...着 means 'while (doing) ...'.

You are not wrong and I would actually prefer your answer to 躺着躺着, but of course as others suggested, 聊着聊着 is the best.

Don't worry about it, at your age, you should have seen loads of nonsense answers like this in art/literature subjects. The question setter is either foolish or careless.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.