I know that 鐘 means clock so am I right in saying that 鐘頭 means head of clock which becomes hour?

If it's the head of the clock, is it referring to the minute hand being at the '12' (I.e the top of the clock?)

If so that would be very intuitive and makes me appreciate the Chinese language further!

cf.Yip Po-Ching, The C. Lexicon (abbr.): suffix 头 whole or part reminisc. "head", confined concrete nouns. No way of telling why some abstract nouns also have 头 just as 子。Transf. meanings "head" i.e. "end,target", etc. subconsc. at wk. 小马词典 lists 586 compounds, below from CL: concrete:锄头,木头,芋头,舌头,骨头,浪头,砖头,馒头,指头,浪头 abstract: 年头,钟头(colloq.),苦头,奔头儿,念头,噱头,甜头,想头(colloq.),看头(colloq.) – user6065 Aug 23 '17 at 10:11
  • 鐘頭 means no fractions. 3 个鐘頭 means exactly 3 hours. – Daniel Yang Aug 24 '17 at 0:40

I think you got the idea of 鐘 means clock and 頭 means beginning. It means the beginning of a 60 min cycle in the clock. So it turns to mean hours.

| improve this answer | |

I think it means nothing here, I mean the character'头'. There are many Chinese words that end with '头',which has nothing to do with the real meaning of the words. e.p.'想头','甜头',‘念头’,‘年头’ If you really can't get used to this word, change it to '小时' instead. It's a more formal way to say 'hour'.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.