This text discusses '人体运动到底有没有极限?‘

人的心理因素弹性很大,积极的精神状态可以激发身体潜能,从而让运动员在竞赛中超水平发挥。

弹性: 物体受外力作用发生形变、除去作用力能恢复原来形状的性质 (zdic.net)
弹性: flexibility, elasticity

However, I don't think they want to say 'the mind is flexible' or 'psychological factors are flexible'.

I think 弹性 means here 'ability to stretch, make elastic, increase', but I'm not really sure.

1. 人的心理因素弹性很大,
    Psychological factors have a great ability (性) to 'stretch, increase'(弹 (our sporting ability)),
  2. 积极的精神状态可以激发身体潜能
    a positive outlook can unleash our body's hidden power,
  3. 从而让运动员在竞赛中超水平发挥。
    and so allow the athlete in competition to display greater than normal ability.
  • Forget about it, this is not a good sentence. 他想说的是"人的心理变化范围很大, 其影响也很大" – Jacob Aug 29 '17 at 8:44
  • I'm glad you said that, because it was driving me crazy! "人的心理变化范围很大" is easy to understand. – Pedroski Aug 29 '17 at 22:25
  • scalability. Some IT infrarchitecture requires scalability, that is to say, we can add some basic components like hardwares to extend throughput of the IT system, 弹性 here does just means same feature, with some excitations, he can work better. – Daniel Yeung Sep 8 '17 at 1:13

《汉语大词典》

2.比喻事物的可多可少、可大可小等伸缩性。

《懒虫简明汉英词典》

flexibility

人的心理因素(的)弹性很大
The flexibility of human's psychological factors is great.

If a doctor tells a healthy man that he has cancer, he will get sick very soon. If a woman has cancer, and the doctor tells her that she is healthy, she can live longer and healthier.

This is the psychological effect.

人的心理因素弹性很大 also talks about this effect.

All coaches encourage the athletes before the competitions because an athlete may be confident or without confidence.

The 弹性 here refers to this range, active or passive.

• 到底这句话‘人的心理因素(的)弹性很大’是什么意思? – Pedroski Aug 29 '17 at 2:12
  • '弹性'翻译为‘range'? – Pedroski Aug 29 '17 at 23:04

Well, the later context (积极的精神状态可以激发身体潜能,从而让运动员在竞赛中超水平发挥。) explains 弹性 pretty well. Reversely, if 运动员的精神状态不好,他就很难在竞赛总发挥得好。 In brief, 运动员发挥的好不好 fluctuates with his 精神状态, hence 精神状态 has 弹性。

• 如果只写‘积极的精神状态可以激发身体潜能,从而让运动员在竞赛中超水平发挥。’我没有什么问题。为什么写‘人的心理因素弹性很大,’? ‘伸缩性’和‘精神状态变动’不一样的。 'flexible' is not 'fluctuate'. – Pedroski Aug 29 '17 at 2:05
  • 如果说:“心理因素 在激发身体潜能方面 弹性很大” 这句话你能理解吗? – dan Aug 29 '17 at 2:25
  • ok, let me explain this way. 心理因素 refers to 精神状态. So, if 精神状态 from high(好) to low(坏), 运动员的发挥 will go from 好 to 坏. you could consider 弹性 as resilience, you could imagine a spring, when you press it and it will try to return to its previous shape. The more you press, the more resistance you will get from it. Analogically, the better 精神状态 could be, the better 运动员的发挥 could be. And vice versa. – dan Aug 29 '17 at 2:47
  • I will translate 人的心理因素弹性很大 as The psychological factor plays an important role or The psychological factor can affect a lot. – dan Aug 29 '17 at 2:54
  • That really is 'interpreting'! 翻译‘弹性’为‘plays' 但是对我来说‘人的心理因素’和‘精神状态’不一样的。 人的心理因素就是’因素‘不是’人的精神状态。‘上面Jacob13说的“Forget about it, this is not a good sentence.”你怎么看? – Pedroski Aug 29 '17 at 22:41

指心理因素对结果的影响相关性很大。 积极的状态有正面的影响,消极的状态有负面的影响,但是又没有明确客观的具体数据,这时候用弹性来表达一种定性的不确定的相关性关系。

• 只是‘心理状态’积极的或者消极的就是全部的‘心理状态’而不是‘心理因素’。因素不构成完整的状态。你觉得在这句话中用的‘弹强’是正确的? 用英语为‘flexibility' 但是怎么可能有’flexible mental factors'?? zdic.net 有’弹性: 物体受外力作用发生形变、除去作用力能恢复原来形状的性质‘ 你自己怎样定义‘弹强’呢? – Pedroski Aug 31 '17 at 2:37
  • 语言不是科学,不能非黑即白地定义为正确或者不正确。如果你是参与考试,你可以认为这样的表达不严谨不正确。如果你只是想知道说话人表达的意思,就像我这样理解就可以了。 – Pengfei Fang Aug 31 '17 at 6:16
  • "不能非黑即白地定义"真的!总是我的错误! – Pedroski Aug 31 '17 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.