Can someone please help me clarifying all the possible ways to say "try" in Chinese. As in "try sth" or "try to do sth". I can come up with many translations but it's very hard for me to use them in context.

A simple form of try is 试一试: ‘试一试某事’ = 'give something a whirl/shot'
I often hear:
我不会! I can't do it!
试一试! Try!

You can often replace 试一试 with 尝试。

You can also use 试: 我可以试一下这双鞋吗?

try hard (to do sth.) is 努力: 如果你努力就能够做到。

also 尽力: try your hardest (to do sth.): 我们会尽力完成。

• 试试 or 试一试 is reduplication of the verb 试. chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/26236/… 试试 means try slightly; 试一试 means try once/ try slightly. – Tang Ho Sep 1 '17 at 23:32
  • In ’试一试 ‘ ’一试‘ cannot be a verb. How could you count a verb? What would that mean? – Pedroski Sep 2 '17 at 10:18
  • In 试一试, the first 试 is a verb. 一 is the counting word and the second 试 is a 'verb classifier' - for counting how many 'try' you have tried. Let me give you another example., 看一看= look one look. (take one look/ look briefly) – Tang Ho Sep 2 '17 at 10:40

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/try

try:

1.to make an attempt at —often used with an infinitive- try to fix the car

~

https://translate.google.ca/#en/zh-TW/try

嘗試 - try, attempt

企圖 - try, attempt

試圖 - try, attempt

• 嘗試 emphasizes on "the action of trying"

• 企圖 emphasizes on "intention of trying"

• 試圖 emphasizes on "the uncertain nature of trying"

"他嘗試修理這輛汽車" (he try to repair this car) emphasizes on his action of trying to fix it.

~

"他企圖修理這輛汽車" (he try to repair this car) emphasizes on his intention of trying to fix it.

~

"他試圖修理這輛汽車" (he try to repair this car) emphasizes on his uncertain attempt to fix it.

~

試著 is the colloquial counterpart of 嘗試

"他試著修理這輛汽車"

More examples:

嘗試種花 (try to grow flower) - let me see how you do it.

企圖謀殺 (try to murder)- it is your intention, isn't it?

試圖打敗職業拳擊手 (try to defeat a pro boxer)- are you sure?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.