Hi! I am American but I was adopted from China so I have a Chinese name. Recently I have been curious about how a Mandarin/Chinese Speaker would react to my Chinese name, which is 宁春菊 (nìng chūnjú)。

First of all, for the surname 宁:

1. I know it is an uncommon surname, but does it scream "orphan name?"

And for the given name 春菊:

1. I know that it is fairly normal for girls to have flower related names but is this one ok? I read on one website that 菊 (chrysanthemum) is slang for anus. Also in Japanese,春菊 refers to the chrysanthemum leaves which one can eat like a vegetate/salad similar to how dandelion weeds are eaten. Do I have to worry about those other meanings?
  2. Is it a normal name?
  3. Is it the Bob, John, Gertrude, Sally Jane of Chinese names (basic/boring/awkward)? [my apologies if you have or particularly like these names]
  4. Is it just a common but socially acceptable name? (like Jake, Owen, Hannah, or Emily)
  5. Or is it Is it a unique name?
  6. If it is unique would it attract odd attention? (like Aelita is a normal but also unique name that wouldn't attract odd attention while Rainbow is a unique name but might attract odd attention)

When reading this name, what are your first thoughts/impressions?

Do you think I could comfortably use this name in Chinese society?

Thank you so much in advance!!! I just really need to know if I should be ok with publicly using this name.

• 1. No. 2. No. 3. Yes. 4. No. 5. Yes. 6. No. – fefe Sep 12 '17 at 3:42
  • 春菊 is very rustic, almost hick, as far as names go. – user3306356 Sep 14 '17 at 21:12

宁 means 'peaceful; serene; tranquil'. It is not an uncommon surname.

春 means 'spring'. It is the season of warm, life and hope

菊 is a flower name, In 花語 (flower language), 菊 is a symbol of 清净、高洁、追想 (Clean, noble, remembrance)

Also in 花語

春菊:为爱情占卜。Chrysanthemum: divination for love.

宁春菊 is a decent female name but not very common one. (it associates with terms like tranquil, hope and noble. There's no negative meaning in it)

宁:

This is a very elegant surname, not rare, not boring. I think the first one named 宁 comes out of Chinese people's mind was 宁采臣.

春菊

Tbh, this sounds like a girl born in a small village in 1970s. For example, there is a film called 秋菊打官司. 秋菊 is the heroine's name.

If you wanna a good name, avoid 春夏秋冬, flower's name.

I know it is an uncommon surname, but does it scream "orphan name?"

No.

And for the given name 春菊:

Is it a normal name?

Yes

Is it the Bob, John, Gertrude, Sally Jane of Chinese names (basic/boring/awkward)? [my apologies if you have or particularly like these names]

Yes

Is it just a common but socially acceptable name? (like Jake, Owen, Hannah, or Emily)

Acceptable, but very old-fashioned and local

Or is it Is it a unique name?

No.

If it is unique would it attract odd attention? (like Aelita is a normal but also unique name that wouldn't attract odd attention while Rainbow is a unique name but might attract odd attention)

No odd attention, just odd-fashioned and local.

• The first name I think of 宁 is 宁中則 – Tang Ho Sep 13 '17 at 5:36

First, for everything I put here, I have no intention to offend and it's truly my thought.

One's name should go with one's characteristics anyway.

宁 as a surname is good. There is a famous swimmer, whose name is 宁泽涛, in China.

春菊 is attractive, sexy and hot as a given name. It's because '春' could mean 'horny' as in '发春','思春'. 菊 is a flower's name, which could be a typical name for a whore in the ancient China. 菊 could also be a slang term as you quoted above. But 菊 could be a normal name as well and I have some friends named with 菊.

So, generally, 宁春菊 sounds a beautiful name for my first impressions.

In the daily usage, people wouldn't go that deep to the meaning of the name, unless it's a very odd name. Apparently, 宁春菊 is not an odd one.

However, it's possible 春菊 would be joked upon in a sense of being 'sexy' or 'horny' among close friends.

Three points for your consideration:

1. Chrysanthemum is the flower blossoming in autumn, so the name 春菊 sounds off-season and makes the impression that the name-giver doesn't really know what is what;

2. As you have said, that word does imply that part of human body, especially when the other party wants to make fun, you will be left in disadvantage;

3.That flower is usually placed before tombs along with sacrifices in memory of the dead, and if you do not mind that, there is no problem.

Hereby I re-post something my friend says about your name, for your reference. He had his study in the U.S. earlier and now is a teacher.

Hello,Chunju Ning,a springtime 菊 in Nanning,or from Nanning,or simply, a quiet(ning) 菊 flower in spring(chun),

Here is my comment on your sensible name and on the sensitve YOU.And hope it helps.

Literally your full name Ning Chunju can be decoded as a springtime 菊 in Nanning,or from Nanning,or simply, one quiet(ning) 菊 flower in spring,

So your Chinese full name sounds sensible either way, in English in the USA,or in Chinese anyewhere here in China.

You are sensitive, one way or another.

I happened to be in the adoption job years back, helping American couples riding out all their bumpy road to welcoming their angels home after they got lost somewhere else in China, in Nanning, Liuzhou, Guilin and Wuzhou,to be more specific.

I believe God must have been dozing off when He passed out the brains.

It even happened, incredibly, that I bumped into one adopted girl in Atlanta,GA, whom I had helped through all the paperwork in Nanning.

It was a happy gatecrash for me.God rewards those who reward others, too.

She got the same 宁 last name as you do.The truth is, all the lost angels found on the street got the same 宁 surname ,short for 南宁,after they were received into the orphan's home in Nanning, to differentiate them from other Homes in Liuzhou,Wuzhou, or Guilin.

But that doesnt necessarily imply an orphan home in any sense at all for your surname.Dont worry about it.

Rather, 宁 sounds a rare but culturally ancient name in China.At least that's what reminds me,just like another rare surname 司马,to me. A 宁 or a 司马 surname suggests a wealthy and power family in the government in ancient China.

To hit a more enlightening note, you may cite 宁静,a famous Chinese actress who shares the same 宁 surname as you do. I dont think any Chinese ,at the sight of 宁 surname ,would ever make something out of nothing in a 宁 surname,eithet for you, or for the actress.

You have 春 in your middle-some name, that's most likely because you arrived at the Home in springtime and nothing more. Chinese parents will very often christen a toddler that matches certain occasion.

Last but not least, so why did you associate 菊 with an anus even though it does least but also last mean it? Were you checking a Chinesesome Urban dictionary too much to have arrived at such a socially offensive explanation?

Just like jasmine tea, 菊 tea in China is one of the most favored drinks,either in your cozy sitting room, or in a mouthwatering restaurant, or in a boring office, soothing and cooling the lungs. A waiter would most likely start serving you at a restaurant table before serving the food by asking:What tea would you prefer, jasmine or 菊 tea ?

That, in the least sense,has anything to do with a disgusting anxx.

Please find time to check the Chinese movie book, and you will come up with a movie that broke box office record directed by a famous Chinese director and starred by an equally famous actress.Qiu Ju, or litterally Autumn 菊,a stubbon village woman in the movie filed a lawsuit and fouhgt all her way from grassroot to the top until her wronged claim was justified.

That,in any sense at all,does not mislead the ticket paying audience in the theater into any association with the human sewage pipe in the back.

Yes, good luck to you, Ning Chunju,a springtime 菊 in Nanning,or from Nanning,or simply, a quiet(ning) 菊 flower in spring. Visit China more in search of your root,but the root of your full name, 菊 in particular, excluded. 来自时空生活APP

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.