It looks like this phrase means two persons wear the same or similar outfit, which is very embarrasing. But the word "uniform" seems not to serve such purpose because uniform doesn't make the wearers embarrassing.

• Are you asking about English or Chinese?
    – dan
    Sep 13 '17 at 12:40
  • 撞衫
    – user3a
    Sep 13 '17 at 12:48
  • @– user3a 撞 in 撞衫 is the same one in 期 (scheduling conflict) 撞衫 is not a loaned word from English "dress same". The answer is wrong in the linked site.
    – Tang Ho
    Sep 13 '17 at 15:55
  • I asked this on English SE: english.stackexchange.com/q/369645/68094
    – Mou某
    Sep 13 '17 at 20:38

撞衫 often used to describe movie stars, celebrity's who just happen to wear the same outfit

'撞' in '撞衫' is the same one in '撞期' (scheduling conflict).

'撞期'(date clash) means two events scheduled at the same date, creating a scheduling conflict between them. It is "(two scheduled events) dates run into each other" in English.

'撞衫' (dress clash) means two people wearing identical outfits at the same event, creating a fashion faux pas for both. It is "(two people) dress the same" in English.

I suggest simply translate 撞衫 as "dress the same" or "identically dress"

For example:

• "安和瑪麗在頒獎典禮上撞了衫" (Ann and Mary dressed the same at the award show);

• "穿成衣可能導致與某人撞衫" (wear ready-to-wear dress many resulted in dressing the same with someone)

• I guess this phrase comes from Hong Kong or overseas Chinese, because 衫 is not often used in normal mandarin. But what this phrase interests me is that it also implies the unexpected embarrassment of the wearers, and "dress the same" simply describes what happens. Sep 14 '17 at 2:55
  • @NanningYouth, 衫 is commonly used in 衣衫, 羊毛衫,衬衫... ... 撞衫 itself does not connote embarrassment. Sometimes, it could be funny, interesting, it really depends on one's point of view.
    – dan
    Sep 14 '17 at 3:58

Tang Ho's answer is good

literally it's clothing clashing, or just translate as "dress the same"

haha, in Chinese spoken language we also use 撞衫 a lot to describe wearing the same dress as others not only movie stars

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.