I'm reading a short story and I wondered what 五 means here but I guess it's 'slang'.

A: 放肆!

B retorted back: 你爹放五!

(Sorry for not putting any research result, can't find any, I only know that 五 is sometimes used to replaced 我 or 无).

肆 can mean four. So 放五 is made up after 放肆. It is not a fixed expression. – fefe Sep 16 '17 at 5:39
  • It is like changing the English expression "raining cats and dogs" to " raining cows and horses" – Tang Ho Sep 16 '17 at 6:05
  • 放肆 e.g. bkrs:wanton unbridled presumptuous impudent 放肆诬蔑 wantonly vilify 放肆的行为 unbridled behaviour 极为放肆 throw all restraint to the winds 胆敢如此放肆! How dare you take such liberties! 他这样做太放肆了。 It is too presumptuous of him to do so.不要太放肆了。 Don't be too unrestricted. 肆 an elaborate form of "four" – user6065 Sep 16 '17 at 6:05
  • +1, it's funny one. – dan Sep 16 '17 at 6:24

It's a funny one!

As 5 (五) is bigger than 4 (肆), it could imply B is one higher generation than A. That's why B said 你爹(your father, 放五), implying "I am your father"(as you are "放肆" and I am "放五"!). This is like saying "我是你爹,放五!"

I really love this joke! Couldn't help laughing...

PS: better put a comma in the middle "你爹,放五!"

• "你爹" doesn't necessarily imply "I am your father", but +1 for the rest of the answer :) made me laugh as well – as4s4hetic Sep 16 '17 at 13:18

Five is bigger than four. 肆 is 4.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.