I'm trying to dissect this sentence on jukuu.com:

照他的年纪看来,他显得年轻。
He looks young considering his age.
(Zhào tāde niánjì kànlái, tā xiǎndé niánqīng.)

• (zhào) I think is short for 比照 (bǐ zhào) = in contrast with
  • 年纪 (niánjì) = age
  • 看来 (kànlái) = seems
  • 显得 (xiǎndé) = seems [again (!?)]
  • 年轻 (niánqīng) = young.

I'm puzzled as to why "seems" appears twice here. I think 他显得年轻 makes sense by itself ("he seems young"), so adding 看来 doesn't make sense to me.

Question: Why is 看来 in the sentence 照他的年纪看来,他显得年轻?

I'm thinking it might be used to indicate some suspicion of his age, e.g., if a child was buying alcohol with a fake ID. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.

• 看来 bkrs:根据事况加以观察推论。 hence (see given translation) 照。。。看来 can mean "considering 。。。" cf。 以我看来 in my opinion,这样看来 from this point of view – user6065 Sep 21 '17 at 1:37
  • 年纪 is not used correctly here, it should be 年龄。 年纪 is estimated age according to apperance / behavior / style, etc, while 年龄 used to refer actual age of a man. e.g. 年纪轻轻就开始做生意 means it looks like a young boy/girl, we are not care of actual age of him/her. "他显得年轻" talks about "年纪", 照他的年纪,来讨论年纪,本身是不合逻辑的, the statement is not logical. – Daniel Yeung Sep 21 '17 at 2:01

Although this sentence seems good to me, I think it can be better phrased as:

照他的年纪来看,他显得年轻。

And 照 ... 来看 can be considered as a set phrase meaning “considering”

first,照...看来this is a chinese idiom(习惯用语)。e.g:照我看来,这件事可以这样做,user6065 's moment is what it mean,依据某人的看法/想法来判断。 second,they are different things,there arent two "seems",the meaning between them is different in Chinese。"显得"是一种动作性(verb),e.g:u looks very young.带着与某些参照而表现出来的样子。

To me, as an interpreter for 'considering' or 'in contrast with' in the context, the phrase 和...相比 is more clear than 照...来看/看来.

So, I would translate this to 和他的年龄相比, 他显得很年轻.

This 照 is 按照 in my opinion, and yeah, I agree with fefe, sounds much better with 来看。

(按)照他的年纪来看,他显得年轻。 He looks younger than he is.

I don't think there is a Chinese linguist checking what jukuu puts on its webpage. Take it with a pinch of salt.

• 看来 or 来看 doesn't make much difference. For example, 照我看来 and 照我来看, you wouldn't win any additional point by using 照我来看 against 照我看来. – dan Sep 22 '17 at 1:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.