The song in the title is by Wang Jie. The lyrics can be found here. However, ever since I first met this song, I was puzzled by this bit:

谁飘涌这里未能别去?

This should transliterate to:

Seoi4 piu1 cung1/zung2 ze5-leoi5 mei6 nang4 bit6 heoi3?

What I hear in the video linked above, 00:50-00:54, is:

Seoi piu-hyup ze-leoi mei nam pið heoi?

Now the nam could be explained away by assimilation, the pið has the weird /ð/ instead of /t/ at sytllable end which may be just a quirk of the singer's pronunciation, and the p which is probably just the root voiceless value of Jyutping b surfacing as sometimes happens - and similar things happen in Wang Jie's mandarin singing too. But the hyup is puzzling. Is there any explanation besides "Wang Jie made a weird mistake in his native tongue and this should actually be cung or zung"? Perhaps another word with similar meaning in Cantonese starting with the same piu and ending in hyup or something close to it?

• The words should be 漂来. Wang Jie is a native of Taiwan, where traditional mandarine is spoken, so Cantonese to him is a foreign language. That said, his pronunciation is something which can arouse different views but which is also his trade mark with a very high distinction. – NanningYouth Sep 25 '17 at 11:42

He pounced it correctly and match with lyrics.

Multiple pronunciation of 涌. "yung2" http://ykyi.net/dict/index.php?char=涌

E.g. 暗涌

Just relistened to the song (in perhaps another video) and realized I was mishearing (probably because of instruments): he actually pronounces jung, which makes it a piu1-jung2 according to here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.