How do you write "hacker" in Chinese?...

For purposes of this question, here is the definition in English:

Hacker /ˈhækər/ (noun) 1. One who likes to program. 2. One who utilizes technology to go beyond the limits inherent to the design of an application.

Or in other words; I'm not talking about only Black Hats (which is unfortunately the public perversion of the word "hacker" and has an evil connotation in addition to usually referring incorrectly to mostly script kiddies and not true Black Hats anyways ☺)... but instead the definition above (which may include the entire gambit Black-Grey-White, but is not limited to those subsets).

Thanks! ☺

黑客 is the Chinese word for Hacker.

can work as a verb meaning to hack.

is a suffix that means person here.

It does also include the different definitions you're looking for, almost practically the same as English.

黑客 on Wikipedia says:

• “黑客”一词最早是用来称呼研究如何盗用电话系统的人,这一类人士也被称作“飞客”(Phreak)。[3]

• 在计算机软件方面,“黑客”是对于计算机及计算机网络内部系统运作特别感兴趣并且有深入理解能力的一种人。[4]

• 在业余计算机DIY方面,“黑客”是指研究如何修改计算机相关产品的业余爱好者。从1970年代起,有很多这一类社区聚焦于硬件研究。

• 在信息安全里,“黑客”指研究如何智取计算机安全系统的人员。他们利用公共通讯网路,如电话系统和互联网,在非正规的情况下登录对方系统,掌握操控系统之权力。

The wikipedia page also has translations of the different types of hats aswell:

白帽黑客(White Hat)

灰帽黑客(Grey Hat)

黑帽黑客(Black Hat)

You might as well check out the entire page, I'm sure you'll find more information that would be helpful/useful for you.

‘Hack’ in words like lifehack often get translated more like 妙招 or 小技巧 or 小窍门.

• user3306356 do you have a comment about @iBug 's suggestion that 骇客 is the word currently used to have no evil connotation? – George 2.0 Hope Oct 5 '17 at 12:20
  • [1] The wiki page says 黑客(大陆和香港:黑客,台湾:骇客,英语:Hacker)- so basically 黑客 is a Mainland word whereas 骇客 is a Taiwanese word. [2] Baidu Baike (Encylopedia) says 黑帽黑客(black hat hacker)就是人们常说的“黑客”或“骇客”了. - so “黑客” or “骇客” - both are fine. [3] zhihu.com/question/19724972 this zhihu (Chinese quora) question says Cracker(骇客)和 Hacker(黑客)有什么不同?- so it seems that 骇客 is more synonymous with 'Cracker' than 'Haker' here. ---- These are just regular peoples understandings - and are not to be taken as exact 'jargon' but it should give you an idea of how people understand these words. – user3306356 Oct 5 '17 at 12:53

In China, we call "hackers" with a word with negative meaning, 黑客.

Actually it's not the original word, which is now used specifically for hackers without an evil connotation, 骇客.

Alternatively you can call 骇客s as "白帽黑客".

• iBug your answer seems to directly contradict @Jacob 's answer, which states "骇客 (black-hat hacker)" which would seem to imply a negative meaning. – George 2.0 Hope Oct 5 '17 at 12:18
  • I'm not sure why, but what I meant was "黑客 is negative" and "骇客 is neutral". – iBug Oct 5 '17 at 13:16

Hacker: 黑客 (universal word), 骇客 (black-hat hacker)

Geek: 极客

Script kiddie: 脚本小孩

• Jacob your answer seems to directly contradict @iBug 's answer, which states "骇客 <is> the original word, which is now used specifically for hackers without an evil connotation" which would seem to imply not a Black Hat. – George 2.0 Hope Oct 5 '17 at 12:18
  • @George2.0Hope Paul Graham's "hackers and painters" is translated to 黑客与画家. And you can not find any positive meanings from 骇 in dictionaries. – Jacob Oct 5 '17 at 15:34

黑客 is the Chinese word for Hacker.

In my understanding of this, many people don't see/ don't care the difference of these two types of 'hacker'. They just use them (黑客, 骇客) arbitrarily or prefer '黑客' for universal purposes.

New contributor
Jim River is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.