I was wondering if there is any Hakka word that functions the same as Mandarin 把, that is, marks the direct object when it is placed before a verb. For example:

我把我的电脑放在桌子上了。

Hakka:

涯__涯个电脑放在桌上忒
Ngâi __ ngâi kài thiàn-náu piòng tshoi tsok shòng thet.

Note: The romanization system is my version of Phak-fa-sii, meaning that, w.r.t that system:

1. I write "ch" and "chh" as "c" and "ch" respectively;
  2. I switch the uninputable u with umlaut below with "ii", which I can input;
  3. I replace the uninputable vertical line above with a dot above, which I can input.

The spelling rules are described here.

maybe 摎 ? not sure tho – user3306356 Oct 1 '17 at 13:34
  • moedict.tw/:%E6%91%8E – user3306356 Oct 1 '17 at 13:46
  • @user3306356 It seems you are mentioning this. However, this seems to be 和 or 跟, not 把. – MickG Oct 1 '17 at 14:05
    side note: I don't think 忒 is right here. In Sixian Hakka, your example would be translated as 𠊎摎𠊎个電腦放在桌項了 ngài lâu ngài ke thian-nó piong tshai chok-hong lé. – justinrleung Dec 6 '17 at 20:49
    AFAIK, 忒 is more of an equivalent to 掉 or 完, not 了. – justinrleung Dec 6 '17 at 21:43

Converting @user3306356's comments into an answer here.

One possibility is 摎 | lau. This is reported by moedict and Minhakka as only 和/跟, but maybe it can be used (@user…) seems to think so) the way I asked for. He reported the following examples:

工人用石鏨摎字刻在石碑頂。
Kung-nyin yung shȧk-tshàm lau sìi khat tshoi shȧk-pi tang.
工人用鑿石的工具把字刻在石碑上。
Workers carve characters on steles with carving tools.

今晡日下班以前,一定愛摎天光日開會个資料準備好勢。
Kim-pu-nyit hà-pan yi-tshiên, yit-thin òi lau thien-kwong-nyit khoi-fù kài tsii-liàu cún-phì háu-shè.
今天下班以前,一定要把明天開會的資料準備好。
Before I stop working today, I will surely prepare the resources with which I'll attend a meeting tomorrow.

This use is confirmed by both the above-mentioned dictionaries for his "better bet" 將 | tsiong, which is used this way in Mandarin too.

I will ask confirmation from Hakka speakers on the Facebook group Hakka Verse about these usages.

Update

@user... commented on this answer with this, which has one of his example. Weird that the same dictionary giving this as an example for another word fails to mention the usage of lau in said example in the article about lau. Anyways, I guess that is confirmation of the usage. Hakka Verse hasn't responded yet.

• @user3306356 Here is my answer. Just one thing: I believe you made a small character error in using 項 for "tang" whereas it should be 頂. After all, a character meaning "top" (the latter) suits "above" more than one meaning "neck", right :)? – MickG Oct 1 '17 at 16:47
  • I just copy-and-pasted, bro, moedict.tw/:%E7%9F%B3%E9%8F%A8 – user3306356 Oct 1 '17 at 20:26
  • @user3306356 Well, their bad then :). Also, it is weird that they have this example and not document the usage of lau said example makes. – MickG Oct 1 '17 at 20:28
    It’s would be 你兜 using the Taiwanese recommended characters, but the Taiwanese Hakka Bible uses the character 等 for têu. – justinrleung Dec 7 '17 at 8:03
    minhakka.ling.sinica.edu.tw doesn't have hong. hakka.dict.edu.tw has your character with sense 3 "用以指某部位之中或之上". That's it. – MickG Dec 7 '17 at 8:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.