I'm asking about this jukuu.com example sentence:

我不打算做决定
(wǒ bù dǎsuàn zuò juédìng)

(Jukuu.com's translation is "Susan, I don't plan to make any decisions Susan" which is clearly wrong.)

It breaks down logically:

So it means something along the lines "I don't plan to make a decision".

Question: Is 做 necessary in the sentence 我不打算做决定?

I'm not sure why 做 is in this sentence, but it seems unnecessary to me. I.e., I would expect 我不打算决定 to be an acceptable sentence, but I'm unclear on this.

决定 in 我不打算决定 is a verb (I don't plan to decide)

决定 in 我不打算做决定 is a noun (I don't plan to make decision)

'做决定' means 'make decision'

• in 我不打算决定 the object is omitted, It emphasizes the verb 'to decide'

• 我不打算做决定 is a complete sentence. It put emphasis on the object 'decision'.

| improve this answer | |
  • This is the correct answer. It's no good to omit the . – AGamePlayer Oct 5 '17 at 7:53

Yes 我不打算决定 is acceptable, and has the same meaning with 我不打算做决定. But with the usage of (which makes 决定 a noun, i.e. the decision) the emphasis is put on the action of making the decision.

BTW: As a native Chinese I'm curious too; do decide and make the decision have the same meaning in English? Is there any nuance?

| improve this answer | |
  • 打算 means 'plan to'. It is different from 决定 (decide to). When you plan to doing something, you may or may not actually do it. When you decided to do something, you are going to do it unless you change your mind. – Tang Ho Oct 3 '17 at 15:09
    @TangHo I think the point of the question is 决定 vs 做决定, not 打算 vs 决定, ? – songyuanyao Oct 3 '17 at 15:12
  • Sorry, I thought you wrote "decide to make decision" (决定做决定). That would sound very strange. – Tang Ho Oct 3 '17 at 15:20
  • For your question, Let me put it in another example- 'murder' and 'commit a murder'. In "he murders" the object is omitted. The emphasis is on the action of 'murder'. If you say "he committed a murder", the emphasis is on the object noun 'murder'. Similarly, "he decides" emphasizes the action of 'decide' ; while "he makes a decision" emphasizes on the object noun 'decision' – Tang Ho Oct 3 '17 at 15:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.