I was looking up the meaning of 咬人猫 on google translate. 咬人猫 translated to

Bite the cat

I know a little bit of kanji and know that means person/human/man ... and means cat. So "Bite the cat" surprised me as there is nothing related to "person/human ... ".

Unconvinced, I tried 咬猫 which also translated to

Bite the cat

Now I realised Google is just messing me with, LOL. Anyway, jokes aside, I tried the 人猫 next, which translated to

Human cat

This made more sense to me.

Looking up further, I got the following

咬 yǎo
    (指用牙)bite

被狗/蛇咬了一口
     get bitten by a dog/snake

So after all this, I was pretty sure it is thing related to "bite" and "human cat". So, I believe 咬人猫 should be something like

biting human cat

So what is the actual meaning?

PS: No idea of Chinese language and sub-par knowledge of kanji. Was just curious, so ended up here :)

• 咬人猫 means 'cat that bite human'. XD. No 咬猫 or 人猫. But there is 猫人 for human cat. – Jacob Oct 7 '17 at 19:04
  • Human-biting cat. 咬人 means (v.) to bite human or (adj.) human-biting. – NS.X. Oct 7 '17 at 19:09
  • @NS.X. So it's the other way around. Thanks. In that case, what will biting human-cat be? And by human-cat, I mean something like a cat-man, if that makes any sense. Will it be like 咬猫人? – user18093 Oct 7 '17 at 20:19

Well, in Taiwan, "咬人猫" is the local name of urtica thunbergiana (蕁麻).

It's a poisonous plant.

enter image description here enter image description here

The moral is: don't rely on google translate solely :)

• So how is the local name pronounced? – user18093 Oct 8 '17 at 2:57

You're enough to make jokes... 咬人猫 just a nikename of an account of famous website.She's a cute girl,and made some videos.enter image description here

looks like this is not a simple language question. – Jacob Oct 8 '17 at 16:32

Well, an Australian women I know, here in China, took in a cat from the streets, because she felt sorry for it. It turned out to be a 咬人猫,it bit her arm badly and she had to pay 2000 RMB for an anti-rabies injection!

In English, we use relative clauses a lot for description:

That is the cat [that bites people]. [relative clause]

Chinese mostly puts this kind of description in front of the noun, so we get:

That is a [bites people] cat   
那是只[咬人的]猫。

A person who bites cats (probably not many of them!) would be

一个咬猫的人

Batman is 蝙蝠侠 which is 'bat knight/hero'
Superman is 超人 which is 'surpass person'

If a hypothetical Catman were a hero, you could maybe call him '猫侠‘, but if he was evil than possibly '恶猫人’ and if this villain bites people, that could be expressed as thus:

恶猫人再次咬了一个人
  Catman has bitten someone again

Did I just hear a bloodcurdling 'Meow'? Oh no, it's Catm ..... arrrgh!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy