Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Visit Stack Exchange
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
In Mandarin, there are too many words to express "if". Here is a brief list of such words, as far as I recall:
Some words such as 尽管 have different meanings, such as "although". In these cases I understand the difference.
But if these words just mean "if" in English, is there any difference on the usage and context where some of these words are appropriate while others are not?
asked Oct 14, 2017 at 10:46
5,39544 gold badges2828 silver badges7272 bronze badges
- 如果: simply means 'if'. For example, 如果我知道，我就会告诉你。 If I knew it, I would tell you.
- 如： is short for 例如, meaning 'for example', 'like' or 'as'. It's used when you give some examples. For example (如)： 手字可以和很多字组词，如：手机.
- 假如: supposing or in case. For example: 假如生活欺骗了你, in case/supposing life deceived you.
- 只要: only if or as long as. For example: 只要你做完工作就可以走了。You could go as long as you finish the work.
- 即便: even if/even though. For example: 即便是老板，我也不怕。 Even though he is the boss, I wouldn't fear.
- 要说: as for; want to say something; For example, 要说他这个人，没人知道。As for this person, no one knows. 我没有什么要说。 There is nothing I want to say.
answered Oct 14, 2017 at 23:33
24k11 gold badge99 silver badges2323 bronze badges
即便，即使，mean the clause following the words is not true at least to the speaker.
如果，如，要是，假如 is just same but with different style, where 要是usually appears in speech，如果 and 假如 usually appears in writting， 假如 and 如 is more likely to appears in writting, it is shorthand of 如果 or 假如。
只要 just expresses a sufficient condition without supposition where 如果，如，要是，假如 imply supposition.
要说 almost usually expresses true fact ，a case among several situations which may have happened.
answered Oct 14, 2017 at 11:15