In the following sentence:

虽然练习做 ( ) 很多,但是我还是不懂。

We have a small discussion with our teacher. Which one should be used in the bracket and why?

It should be '得'

In "做 (得) 很多", '得' functions as an "(degree/extend) particle" that indicate the degree or extend of the verb.

'很多'(a lot) is the degree or extend of the verb

Example:

"做得多/ 做得少"

• 做 (verb)

• 得 (particle that indicate the degree of the verb)

• 多(a lot); 少(little) [degree]

More example:

"跑得快/ 跑得慢"

• 跑(verb)

• 得(particle that indicate the degree of the verb)

• 快(fast) ; 慢(slow) [degree]

Some people using 的 instead of 得 in this role because the two words sound similar.

Look at the follow sentences, and you can see 的 and 得 are not interchangeable

'要做的很多'

• '要做' means 'need to do'

• '要做的' means 'things need to be done'(pronoun)

• '要做的(事)很多' means "a lot (of things) to do"

'要做得很多'

• 要做= verb

• 得 = (particle that indicate the degree of the verb)

• 很多 (degree)

It means "need to do a lot"

In this context 得 should be used. It works as a degree complement, and takes as a form of "verb + 得 + adjective". The phrase after 得 expresses the degree of the adjective.

So in this case,

虽然练习做很多,但是我还是不懂。

, where 得 expresses the degree of "做" is "很多".

You shall also refer to this question, which explain the difference betwen 的, 得, and 地.

得。

A little trick when I learned "的,地,得" in school.

"的" follow by a noun, like "她的妈妈","美妙的天空"

"地" follow by verb, like "用力地哭", "开心地笑"

"得" follow by terms to describe the "action" or verb in front of the "得", like your example: "练习做得很多", "扫得真干净"...

得 is probably ok, but I would use 了 or 过 for this context. It would become 虽然练习做 (or 过)很多,但是我还是不懂。

得 is used for leading a degree complement, while 了 is used for the completion of a verb.

Logically, putting 了 or 过 as a completion is more appropriate I think. The logic is that although you have done(了) lots of practices, you still can not get it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.