I found that in Pleco, there is one special usage of 所:

[noun or pronoun + 所 + verb]

a [with 的 to modify a noun]

• 我所认识的人 // the people I know

• 大家所提的意见 // the opinions various people put forward

However, I feel that even without the 所, the meaning is the same.

• 我认识的人

• 大家提的意见

So what is the added benefits of using 所 in this use case?

This is an advanced question I think.

所 here loans the sense of 所有(的)(owned by).

The structure 'pronoun + 所 + verb + 的( + noun)' indicates a subject-predicate-object relationship. In my opinion, this could have some exclusive effect or a bit emphasis on subject-predicate-object relationship. For example,

我所认识的人 // the people I know

我所认识的人 excludes:

• Subject 我, not others like 你,他, and etc.
  • Verb 认识, not other verbs like 信任,尊敬, and etc.
  • Target 人, not other thing like 东西,事情, and etc.

Compare the two phrases below:

1. 我所认识的人

2. 我认识的人

1 shows the preciseness of each component, subject, predicate, and object. 2 is just a casual way to say it. That being said, 1 is used when you are trying to be formal, clear or precise, while 2 is used when you don't have to be that formal and precise.

• Thanks. Do you usually use this expression in daily life?
    – Blaszard
    Oct 20 '17 at 11:45
  • Yes, whenever I try to be formal or serious, I usually use it. Like 据我所知, 我所认识的人, 大家所提的意见, 我所能给予的(东西), and etc. It's a common usage of 所.
    – dan
    Oct 20 '17 at 12:05

The word 所 in this context according to the dictionary indicates passive voice. You won't hear 大家所提的意见 by itself, but usually with something along with it:

大家所提的意见都被接納。

The ideas you suggested are all accepted.

From the dictionary:

1. 與「為」或「被」合用,表示被動的意思。
    如:「他的 作品 為 一般 青年人 所 喜愛。」(His works are loved by young people.)

Personally I feel that using 所 somewhat emphasizes the objects in the sentence, like you really want to point them out.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.