Writing Chinese characters is difficult, but I can copy them easily enough. Presumably, I won't be able to utilize my mobile phone, a dictionary, etc., during the HSK, but it seems there might still be one legitimate source where I could copy characters from: the exam materials themselves.

The reading and listening sections would contain a vast number of characters which I can read, but for which I haven't memorized how to write.

Question: If I forget how to write a character during the HSK, can I copy it from the supplied exam materials?

I'm interested if this is prohibited, or somehow thwarted by the examiners.

• Just curious - do you have to write down the characters on the test? Maybe only on HSK 6? – Blaszard Oct 28 '17 at 18:59
    I just took a practice HSK3, and there were a few characters you had to write. The HSK4+ exams have writing sections where you need to write whole sentences in Chinese. – Becky 李蓓 Oct 29 '17 at 0:48
  • Isn’t it just done on a computer? – user3306356 Oct 29 '17 at 2:10
    @Becky李蓓 I just found that there are two types of tests - paper-based and computer-based - and you must write in the characters by hand if you choose the paper-based exam. In a computer-based one, you just type in pinyin. – Blaszard Oct 29 '17 at 4:20
  • @Blaszard: That's a massive difference in difficulty. I feel like it's somewhat pointless learning how to write Chinese by hand now. – Becky 李蓓 Oct 30 '17 at 5:16

I remember when I was in middle school 语文 test, I forgot how to write a character, I jumped to following questions, then occasionally I found that character in question descrpition. That moment..., it is like I found Blackbeard's treasure.

I don't think it is cheating, it is a gift. No one would stop you to look at your exam paper and copy them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.