What is the gesture called where you put a fist in a flat hand and slightly shake it to show gratitude? Here is an example: https://youtu.be/cB59VmnK52I?t=15m47s

Do you have any other examples where it is still used today?


作揖 has 3 variations. One is hold your fists, the other is touch your fists with your palm. The last one is the typical 作揖.

Nowadays, only A and B are still used.

Their usages are roughly same, for greeting, appreciation, say goodbye...

The differences are B is prefered by martial arts people, A is a gesture which anybody could use, C is a traditional gesture used by scholars.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • +1 for the drawings – blackgreen Nov 29 '17 at 14:05


Don't just shake your fist at them! Bow a bit or you might get your head chopped off! Emperors can be very touchy people!

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.