When using an electric water cooker/boiler, how to translate the following:

The water is boiling.

What would be arguably the most common way in Mandarin to say this in Taiwan?

  • "The water is boiling": 水開啦.
    – dan
    Oct 30, 2017 at 4:09

3 Answers 3


"The water is boiling."

We say 水開了 in Taiwan. Nothing else.


  • Wouldn't 水開了 be the water is boiled and not the water is boiling? Wouldn't the water is boiling be something more like 水烧了 or 烧水了.
    – Mou某
    Oct 31, 2017 at 7:19
  • Here is one: 水滾了
    – Diaph
    Jan 29, 2018 at 7:28

Many ways to describe water boiling, depends on the situation, say temperature or some flow within, of water.

  • 水開了:water has reached at 100°C
  • 水滾了: water has reached at 100°C
  • 水在沸騰: water is going up to 100°C

The first one is the most common way to describe the water is boiled already.

  • The way you distinguish three sentences doesn’t make any sense. They’re same but different statements anyway.
    – Hao FU
    Feb 2, 2018 at 2:39

“水開了/沸了/滾了” are all used in oral. Even “水好了” goes well (好了=燒好了, and you can use it in preparing for bath, either).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.