A Jukuu.com example sentence:
Alternatively, he could look the address up in a directory.
Hái yǒuyī zhǒng bànfǎ, tā kěnéng huì dào dìzhǐ mùlù zhōng cházhǎo.
Everything here makes sense to me except 到.
Question: What is 到 doing in the sentence 他可能会到地址目录中查找?
Breaking it down:
- 还有一种办法 = still have one kind of solution
- 他可能会 (tā kěnéng huì) = he possibly can ...
- 到 (dào) = to arrive (???)
- 地址目录 (dìzhǐ mùlù) = "address table of contents" likely means "address book"
- 中 (zhōng) = within
- 查找 (cházhǎo) = to look up
It seems possible that I might be breaking this up incorrectly: instead 到地址 go together as "destination address", which is separate from 目录.