My understanding for the pronunciation of 將 is 4th tone for verb (e.g. 將數百之衆,轉而攻秦) and 1st tone for noun (e.g. 將軍; 將 in 象棋).

So why is it that for 上將 as in 海軍上將, the character is in 4th tone? My hypothesis is that it is from the usage of 將領 as a noun without a change in tone?

Interesting question. Why change tone?

English is called a stress-timed language. In English, we often shift the stress to change from verb to noun as in:

v. produce, n. produce, v. refuse, n. refuse

I wonder if this is also generally true for Chinese? It is worth looking into.

"My understanding for the pronunciation of 將 is 4th tone for verb " you may be a little confused there.

jiāng has a lot of possibilities. Here are some.

1. 快要:~要。~至。~来。即~。
  2. 带领,扶助:~雏。扶~。~军。
  3. 拿,持:~心比心。
  4. 把:~门关好。

jiàng does not have so many, but, for simple cases, it is nominal in nature.

1. 军衔的一级,在校以上,泛指高级军官:~领。

2. 统率,指挥:~百万之众。

This link has so many uses for 将 you could get dizzy! There is no clear distinction verb/noun -- jiāng/jiàng

btw is Vibius Vibidius Zosimus really your name?

Generally, in modern Chinese, 将 is a noun when it pronounced as jiàng, and a verb as jiāng.

However, in traditional Chinese, 将 jiàng could be used as verb, meaning 统率,指挥, leading as a general. Say, 将百万之众.

将 jiàng as a noun means 'senior general' or 'high-ranking officer' in military.

將軍 or 將 in 象棋 are pronounced as jiāng when it means to check (attacking to 將 jiàng). A chess man in 象棋 is called 將 jiàng as a noun.

將軍 or 将军 (jiāng), as a set, can also be a noun, meaning general or admiral.

in 廣韻, 將 has two pronunciations:

one is in volume 2, lower level tone (下平聲), 陽韻:

將﹒送也﹒行也﹒大也﹒助也﹒辝也﹒又姓﹒後趙録有常山太守將容﹒即良切﹒又子諒切六

another one is in volume 4, departing tone (去聲), 漾韻:

將﹒將帥﹒子亮切

according to the usage, difference tone was used for long time.

most of the time, when 將 is used as verb, adjective, or surname, it was pronounced as level tone.

when it was used as noun, in a military title, it was pronounced as departing tone.

have fun :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.