In so many cases I have used 逗号(,) to enumerate a list, which 顿号(、) should be used instead. For example:

我要去食品杂货店买苹果,香蕉,和西瓜

However, the correct punctuation should be 顿号:

我要去食品杂货店买苹果、香蕉、和西瓜

The reason is just that I could not type in it in my Mac.

So my questions are:

• Is it not correct to use 逗号 to enumerate a list? Or even though it is not correct, nonetheless is it actually used frequently among natives?

• What kind of impressions would I make if I use 逗号 in cases where 顿号 should be used?

• Does it have a chance of making a confusion if I use 逗号? In what kind of cases is it acceptable, and in what kind of cases should I refrain from using it?

You can type it on your Mac! Just switch your input to source to Pinyin and press the back slash \ key!
    – Sweeper
    Nov 12, 2017 at 19:27
  • btw, the last 顿号 (before 和) is unnecessary. This might be a bigger problem than using 逗号 : ) Nov 13, 2017 at 6:35
  • @Sweeper I didn't know that! Thanks for the greatest tips!
    – Blaszard
    Nov 20, 2017 at 14:06

1 Answer 1

Technically, 顿号 should be used to punctuate for words enumerating.

As we all text on computers today, it's more convenient to just type a comma, instead of 顿号. Most of time, it's acceptable nowadays unless some would nitpick.

In theory, 顿号 would pause shorter than a comma.

• Sorry for being late to respond, but what do you mean "pause shorter"?
    – Blaszard
    Nov 20, 2017 at 14:07
  • a shorter pause...
    – dan
    Nov 24, 2017 at 0:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.