em-dash: — (U+2014) looks a lot like 一 (U+4E00) in many fonts. What is typically used instead in Chinese print? Or do they just rely on context?

What other punctuation alternatives should I learn?

• Unfortunately, that article first talks about the hyphen, then later under em-dash, instead of telling what to use in Chinese, it tells what to use in English and gives English examples. – 伟思礼 Nov 15 '17 at 16:25
  • What do you want to use the symbol for? – fefe Nov 16 '17 at 1:28
  • For what it is supposed to be used for. Similar to parentheses. Or to indicate an interruption, as the Wikipedia article described. – 伟思礼 Nov 16 '17 at 3:06

I guess by "in print", you mean in (normal) computers, as you also mentioned Unicode code point.

We use 破折号 for this. And in computers, it is not one Unicode character, but two.

The symbol used is still U+2014, as I tested with my IME in Word. Two consecutive U+2014 form one 破折号 in Chinese. When Chinese fonts are applied, there usually no gap between the two U+2014 symbols, and it is two times longer than a normal character. (However, you might see a gap in between if non-Chinese fonts are used).

When Chinese fonts are used: To distinguish with 一 (one, U+4E00), double U+2014 is two times longer. And there is almost always a gap between two U+4E00 characters.

It might be a different story if specialized printing systems (computers), character sets, fonts, ... are used.

• Well, I don't know what makes a computer "normal" but on mine, I can easily generate any character in Unicode. 诣ą没有©§≈‰ On Windows, it can also be done, though some aren't as easy. I checked that link, though, and I agree it's the answer. Although it says to use U+2500 rather than U+2014. But the two are nearly the same in appearance. Here are two U+2500 followed by two U+2014: ── —— – 伟思礼 Nov 16 '17 at 5:14
  • Thanks! BTW, here shows the gap you mentioned with U+4E00: 一一 (hard to see in a small font). – 伟思礼 Nov 16 '17 at 5:21
  • I didn't see the web page recommend U+2500, and U+2500 is for box drawing, not a punctuation. – fefe Nov 17 '17 at 2:21
  • I think you are right. Must have been a mistake in the English translation. – 伟思礼 Nov 17 '17 at 15:13
  • But I don't know how to revert my edit. – 伟思礼 Nov 18 '17 at 1:40

中华人民共和国国家标准 标点符号用法 PRC standard of general rules for punctuation.

You can go to section 4.13 to see the examples.

3.13 连接号
3.13.1 连接号的形式为“-”,占一个字的位置,连接号还有另外三种形式,即长横“__”(占两个字的位置)、半字线“-”(占半个字的位置)、和浪纹“~”(占一个字的位置)。
3.13.2 两个相关的名词构成一个意义单位,中间用连接号。例如:
a) 我国秦岭-淮河以北地区属于温带季风气候区,夏季高温多雨,冬季寒冷干燥。
b) 复方氯化钠注射液,也称任-洛二氏溶液(Ringer-Locke solution),用于医疗和哺乳动物生理学实验。
3.13.3 相关的时间、地点或数目之间用连接号表示起止。例如:
a) 鲁迅(1881-1936)中国现代伟大的文学家、思想家和革命家。原名周树人,字豫才,浙江绍兴人。
b) “北京-广州”直达快车
c)梨园乡种植的巨峰葡萄已进入了丰产期,亩产1000公斤~1500公斤。
3.13.4 相关的字母、阿拉伯数字等之间,用连接号,表示产品型号。例如:
在太平洋地区,除了已建成投入使用的HAW-4和TPC-3海底光缆之外,又有TPC-4海底光缆投入运营。
3.13.5 几个相关的项目表示递进式发展,中间用连接号。例如:
人类的发展可以分为古猿-猿人-古人-新人这四个阶段。

破折号:

3.10 破折号
3.10.1 破折号的形式为“——”。
3.10.2 行文中解释说明的语句,用破折号标明。例如:
a) 迈进金黄色的大门,穿过宽阔的风门厅和衣帽厅,就到了大会堂建筑的枢纽部分——中央大厅。
b) 为了全国人民——当然包括自己在内——的幸福,我们每个人都要兢兢业业,努力工作。
3.10.3 话题突然转变,用破折号标明。例如:
“今天好热啊!——你什么时候去上海?”张强对刚刚进门的小王说。
3.10.4 声音延长,象声词后用破折号。例如:
“呜——”火车开动了。
3.10.5 事项列举分承,各项之前用破折号。例如:
根据研究对象的不同,环境物理学分为以下五个分支学科:
——环境声学;
——环境光学;
——环境热学;
——环境电磁学;
——环境空气动力学。
  • Since I am still a beginner, that doesn't help. And since it is an image instead of text, I can't even ask Google Translate to screw it up. Still, a nice reference for when I develop the ability to read. :-) – 伟思礼 Nov 16 '17 at 5:17
  • @伟思礼 Text version updated, both punctuations. – halfelf Nov 16 '17 at 5:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.