An English translation of "听上去不错" is "sounds good".

I understand ”不错“ as "not bad", i.e. "good" (the literal expression "not bad" is quite common in Britain and has the same meaning).

But I don't understand why and how "上去" function in this saying. Can someone please explain?

In more detail, I understand the individual meaning of these characters but not why together, with 听, they equate to "sound" in the phrase "sound good".

• "上去" is a compound direction complement (复合趋向补语,others:上来、下去/来、进去/来、出去/来、回来/去、过来/去、起来、开来/去、到。。。。来/去)cf。"实用现代汉语语法"[上去] 1。 趋向意义(一):表示人或物体通过动作,由低处向高处移动,立足点在底处。例如:(1)听见楼上"嘭"的一声,我赶紧跑上楼去。(我--楼下)(2)我看见一个孩子很快地爬上树去。(我--在树下)(3)他在楼上等着呢,你快把文件送上去。(说话人--在楼下) 2。 趋向意义(二):表示通过动作,人或物体离开立足点向另一处所移动。例如:用人听见主人叫他,他很快地走上前去问主人有什么事。("用人"离开立足点)(2)一个电影明星来了,我看见很多孩子围了上去。("我"的位置是立足点,"很多还字"离开立足点) 3。 结果意义(基本结果意义):表示接触、附着以至固定,着眼点在物体的部分或次要物体。也就是说表示通过动作,使物体的一部分或次要物体与整体或主要物体接触、附着以至固定。例如:(1)这副画儿很好看,你贴上去吧。(着眼点在"墙")(2)我也报名,请你把我的名字写上去。(着眼点在"表格")(3)那根绳子太短,把这根接上去。(着眼点在"那根绳子")(4)屋子里灰尘太大,电视机容易脏,把这快布蒙上去。(着眼点在"电视机") – user6065 Nov 18 '17 at 22:34
  • "上"的基本结果意义与"上来"、"上去"相同,但没有着眼点或着眼点不清楚。表示结果意义时,"上"比"上来"、"上去"更常用。 for 上 as direction complement see chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/21239/… for special meanings of 看上去 see e.g. bkrs:it would appear it seems (that) it seems; it looks as if e.g. 他为何看上去如此凄伤?他看上去强健,其实他的心脏很衰弱。(for E translation and more examples see bkrs), also see previous Q&A: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/3624/… – user6065 Nov 18 '17 at 22:35

上去 here functions as preposition (to), in this case, the object 'words' is omitted

听 (listen) + 上去 (to)

• (听上去)不错 = "It is not bad (listen to it)."

Example of other [verb +上去] phrases

• 看上去 (look at it)

• 摸上去 (touch on it)

You can use 起来 instead of 上去 in this sentence - (听起来)不错 = "It is not bad (listening to) it. "

• JFYI: I don't think you will ever hear 'listen onto', only 'listen to'. Maybe in the Bible you might find 'listen unto me'. You are Chinese I presume, so you know better, but wouldn't you rather say '听起来‘ instead of '听来’? – Pedroski Nov 18 '17 at 22:15
    Some English and Chinese grammar structure do not have corresponding counterpart to each other. 'onto' is the general meaning of '上去' . As you see in example 摸上去. -- 听上去 should be more accurately translate as " upon listening to". Yes It should be '听起来‘ instead of '听来’. I should use 看来 to demonstrate result complement – Tang Ho Nov 18 '17 at 22:36
  • I would edit my answer – Tang Ho Nov 18 '17 at 22:41

... with 听, they equate to "sound" in the phrase "sound good".

This interpretation is not correct. 听 itself just means 'to listen'.

The word 'sound' is defined in merriam-webster dictionary:

to make or convey an impression especially when heard; i.e. it sounds good to me

"to make or convey an impression especially when heard" is the exact equivalence of 听上去 or 听起来 in Chinese.

听 is a verb. 上去/起来 is a verb complement here, expressing/implying what your impression is after you heard something or what you feel after you heard it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.