Is it meaningful to say "谢" only? Google Translate implies that it may also mean "wither". I want to use it to say "thanks" instead of both characters.

I am looking for single characters that I can use for some mandarin emojis, one of which is to mean "thankyou".

• Emoji is different from normal language. The whole design should be considered, I think. – fefe Nov 21 '17 at 1:45
  • Surprisingly, we often use thx or 3x on the internet. (Chinese 3 sounds like th). And single char may also means 谢绝 or 谢罪, which has totally different meaning. – Zang MingJie Nov 21 '17 at 13:26

You can say 谢了 to mean thanks.

• Thanks. Are there any single characters that I can use to say "thanks"? – Trindaz Nov 20 '17 at 16:40
  • 谢 is okay but not super clear – user3306356 Nov 20 '17 at 16:41
  • @Trindaz, in ancient Chinese, 谢 means 谢谢 or 感谢, as in 谢主隆恩! So, it's ok for you to use 谢 as a mandarin emoji. – dan Nov 21 '17 at 1:15

If you're talking or typing, a single 谢 is impolite. It feels like you're so unwilling to thank that you don't even want to say/type one more character.

If you're using it in a symbol/icon/emoji picture, then it's OK, and won't cause any confusion, nobody would take it as "wither".

it is not polite to use 谢 to someone.so if you really want to express your thankness,use 谢谢 or 谢谢你.谢了 is also not very polite but much better than 谢.in our culture,abbreviated words are usually used in the case when superior talk to subordinate or senior talk to junior,like father talk to son.if you want to show your respect to someone use more characters instead single,like if you want to say ok,use 好的 instead of 好. and never use 谢他,it is the transcription of shit in china.who told you use that must be joking you or he dont know chinese.

You can use '谢' as a short form of the verb '感谢' and write 谢他 instead of 感谢他, but using it as a short form of the expression '谢了' or '谢谢' would sound very blunt. Why use a blunt tone when you try to express gratitude?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.