CantoDict lists 扔掉 as the translation for "throw away" as in "throw away the can," but I often hear people use 扔 by itself or 掉 by itself.

1. Is 扔掉 the formal way of saying "throw away"?

2. Is there a difference between using 扔 or 掉?

• see dictionaries: "汉语水平考试词典":扔[义2]丢掉;抛弃(throw away;cast aside):随地~垃圾要罚款的|这些愉快的回忆早就~在脑后了。bkrs: 扔 。。。 (抛弃; 丢) throw away; cast aside: 把它扔了吧。 Throw it away. 不要在地板上乱扔纸屑。 Don't litter up the floor with scraps of paper. 那个疯子把自己的手表和皮夹子扔了。 The madman flung away his watch and his wallet. 我认为应该把它扔进历史的垃圾箱。 I think that should be relegated to the garbage can of history. 这事他早就扔在脖子后边了。 He'd clean forgotten about it. – user6065 Nov 22 '17 at 15:01
  • I see that you tagged both "cantonese" and "mandarin". Is this question about Cantonese or Mandarin? Because the answer may be different for each. – user102008 Nov 24 '17 at 23:32

1) Is 扔掉 the formal way of saying "throw away"?

Yes, it is.

'掉' in '扔掉' is a result complement, not a verb itself.

2) Is there a difference between using 扔 or 掉?

• 扔 mainly mean 'throw'

• 掉 mainly mean 'drop'

you can 扔 forward, backward, upward or downward; But you can only 掉 downward

I'm a native Cantonese and I have always used 掉 to represent 'throw'

• you meant you always use 掉 for 'throw away'. You can't serious think saying '把球掉給我' instead of ' 把球扔給我 ' is acceptable. – Tang Ho Nov 24 '17 at 10:20
  • @TangHo we don't use 扔 or 給 in Cantonese, if not, quite rarely. Native Cantonese speakers use 俾 instead of 給 – rgex Nov 25 '17 at 13:45
    If you are talking about colloquial Cantonese, It is "將個波擲(or 掟)俾我" ; " 把球扔給我 " is SWC (standard written Chinese that Cantonese use for writing) I am a native Cantonese speaker too. We can also say , "抛俾我" – Tang Ho Nov 25 '17 at 13:53
  • BTW, beside '掉垃圾' people also use '抌垃圾' , '丟垃圾' or "擗垃圾" for "throw away the garbage" – Tang Ho Nov 25 '17 at 14:04
  • @Tang Ho wow I've never heard of 擗垃圾 before. and I never knew we would write in SWC in Mandarin instead of Cantonese. Why can't SWC be in Cantonese too? :( Thanks for the insight! – rgex Nov 25 '17 at 21:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.