In Mandarin there are a variety of adjectives that express "rich" - 富,丰富,肥,充实,阔,丰盛,浓郁,富足,etc...

Some of them I believe don't fit in a person; 肥 is an equivalent to "fertile" in English, 浓郁 is "dense", etc...

But I can't decide which is the correct adjective among 富,丰富,富足,丰盛, etc...

The example:

年轻中国女人很___。

为什么华人那么___?

In these cases, which adjective is the most suitable to express "rich"?

Also, in these cases (irrespective of the term "rich"), how can I know which adjective is the most suitable in a context?

• 富,丰富,富足,丰盛,see dictionaries supplied examples showing collocation:(only the 1st can apply to person, in fixed expressions, bound morpheme ) 1) s.v. wealthy; abundant(财产多) wealthy; rich: 富商 wealthy merchant 富人 rich man (丰富; 多) rich; abundant: 年富力强 in one's prime 富于养分 be rich in nutrition 富于自我批评精神 be imbued with the spirit of self-criticism 富于创造性 be highly creative 他们把富日子当穷日子过。 They are thrifty even in days of affluence. 丰富 (种类多; 数量大) abundant; ample; aplenty; rich; plentiful: 丰富的经验 rich experience 资源丰富 rich in natural resources 她的想象力非常丰富。
    – user6065
    Nov 22 '17 at 16:29
  • She has plenty of imagination. 富足 丰富充足:过着富足的日子。[plentiful; abundant] 丰富而充足的 富足的国家 财物丰足。 丰盛 丰富<指物质方面>:丰盛的酒席。 [sumptuous; rich] 食物丰富; 充足 丰盛的一餐 丰富而繁盛。rich; sumptuous; bumper: 1) 犹盛多。 2) 犹丰熟。 3) 犹兴盛。 II 指丰满的祭器,内装黍稷一类祭品。丰盛的酒席 a sumptuous feast 丰盛的筵席 a feast of fat things,
    – user6065
    Nov 22 '17 at 16:34
  • 土豪 - probably the best
    – Mou某
    Nov 22 '17 at 16:51
  • rich person (see dictionaries) 有钱,有财的人,ichacha:wealthy 财产多的,富有的;丰富的,充分的;大量的 a wealthy family 豪门春色 very wealthy 极有钱 wealthy family 富裕家庭 used predicatively :as rich as croesus ie very rich 像克罗伊斯那样 富有 be very rich and generous 富有 又出手大方 土豪 bkrs:local tyrant local strong man (slang) nouveau riche local despot local tyrant 1) 地方上有钱 有势 的家族或个人。 2) 特指乡村中有钱 有势的恶霸 。 3) 一方的 首领
    – user6065
    Nov 22 '17 at 17:17
  • 丰富 is rich in resources, but usually not for money.
    – fefe
    Nov 23 '17 at 1:19

年轻中国女人很___。

为什么华人那么___?

In your context, among those words you listed, only 富 is appropriate. 富 means 富有;有钱;having lots of money.

肥 can also fit, but it will mean fat, which would be an insult.

阔 might be also ok, meaning "having lots of money or able to spend lots of money". But it's not that common as 富 or 有钱.

The rest 丰盛,浓郁,富足 are usually used to describe things, conditions and etc.

• possible duplicate of comments
    – user6065
    Nov 23 '17 at 2:09
  • @user6065 Why do you usually leave a comment but never write an answer?
    – Blaszard
    Nov 23 '17 at 20:41
  • 富 is one-syllable word, so if there is a case that a two-syllables word fits better, which word should I use?
    – Blaszard
    Nov 23 '17 at 20:41
  • duck test 鸭子测试: 如果它看起来像鸭子,游泳像鸭子,叫声像鸭子,那么它可能就是只鸭子。
    – user6065
    Nov 23 '17 at 22:28
  • @Blaszard,富有 can be used in this context.
    – dan
    Nov 24 '17 at 0:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.