In the following sentence:

这家小资的咖啡店本身不仅仅是一间咖啡店,还是首个提出咖啡情绪疗法的品牌。

I know 不仅 means "not only", and 不仅~还是 means "not only ~ but also ~", similar to English idiom.

However, this sentence uses 不仅仅, not 不仅. I wonder if it is a typo, or correct sentence. In that case, what is the difference between 不仅 and 不仅仅?

• see dictionaries:不仅,不仅仅 (both in IME editor) hanyu.iciba.com 不仅:①(连)不止;表示超出某个数目或范围。这~是我一个人的主张;也是同志们的心愿。②(连)不但。他~学习好;而且身体也好。bkrs:不仅仅not only 这些歌曲不仅仅在本世纪里流行。他这次来不仅仅是为了工作,也是为了你。[直义] 人不是光靠面包活着; 人活着不仅仅是需要面包; 人活着不光是要吃饭. [释义] 除物质需要外, 人还有精神需求."汉语虚词词典":"不仅仅"和"不仅"一样。Some dictionaries may not have 不仅仅,but they have 仅仅。 – user6065 Dec 3 '17 at 19:06
    Seriously, I don't quite understand why you keep commenting the OP's post instead of answering. Your contributions are on topic and useful, so why not put them inside a proper answer? Once again: the OP might see your comment because they receive a notification, but other users likely won't bother with comments and jump straight to the answer section. SE sites are just designed around this. :) – blackgreen Dec 4 '17 at 18:30
  • @TXV I agree. Also, the comment is hard to read, especially the way he describes. – Blaszard Dec 4 '17 at 19:11

Yes, 不仅...而且/还是... is equivalent to "not only... but also...". I think 不仅仅 fits here. Because the author really wants to emphasize the achievement of this coffee shop, which is '首个提出咖啡情绪疗法的品牌'.

Example:

他不仅是一个模特,还是一个大学教授。

This just tells you that he has two jobs.

But if you say,

他不仅仅是一个模特,还是一个大学教授

this means that being both a model and a university professor is really impressive.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.