Should 飽飽 and 小朋友们 be treated as single words in

山羊喜欢青草,
肚子饱饱才回家。
小朋友们别学它,
努力做个好宝宝。

?

Segmenting software that I use splits 飽飽 and separates 们.

飽飽 and 小朋友们 should be treated as single words, but the segmenting is reasonable

飽 (full) and 小朋友(child/children) are single words. 飽飽(really full) is a modified form of 飽; 小朋友们(the children) is a modified form of 小朋友, so yes, you can treat them as single words, The segmenting software just separated the modification elements 'reduplication' and 'plural suffix' from the general word and 小朋友

I think it does that to finely segment the word itself, not just segmenting the sentence into words and clauses.

• 飽飽 is reduplication of 飽

• 小朋友们 is general term 小朋友(child/ children) followed by plural suffix 们 which indicate plural

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%80%91

Suffix indicating plural for pronouns, some animated nouns and personifications.

我們 / 我们  ―  wǒmen  ―  we
    孩子們 / 孩子们  ―  háizimen  ―  children
  • Do you mean "should be"? You call it a "suffix" but say it should be a separate word?
    – 伟思礼
    Dec 9 '17 at 23:17
  • 飽 (full) and 小朋友(child/children) are single words, 飽飽(really full) is a modified form of 飽; 小朋友们(the children) is a modified form of 小朋友, so yes, you can treat them as single words, The segmenting software just separated the modification elements from the general word
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 9 '17 at 23:42
  • ?? I don't see the word "edit" but I somehow read it differently before. Makes sense as currently written, although I think the segmentation is an error in that each can be a separate word, but in these examples they are not. Segmentation AFAIK can't consider meaning.
    – 伟思礼
    Dec 10 '17 at 21:27

Doesn't your dictionary also mention, 'machine segmenting is never 100% accurate'?? If it doesn't, remember that anyway!

山羊喜欢青草, goats like new grass,
肚子饱饱才回家。 only go home when their bellies are full,
小朋友们别学它, little friends don't be a goat,
努力做个好宝宝。 try hard to be a little darling.

• If I thought machine segmenting was 100% accurate, I wouldn't have asked if it were wrong. But I appreciate the translation—it's slightly better than the one I came up with.
    – 伟思礼
    Dec 10 '17 at 21:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.