In the following sentence:

很多人因为害怕穿秋裤显胖,宁愿冻死不穿。

What does 也 mean in the sentence? The entire sentence should mean something like the following:

Because of the fear that wearing one more pants behind the trousers make you look fat, so many people rather want to...

I don't understand the last part of the sentence, especially on the 也 part.

According no Pleco, 也 has the following entry (as an adverb):

[for emphasis, often before a negative expression]

• 她一天假也没请过。

But then how does it connect 冻死 and 不穿 and what does the sentence mean?

Also, is my understanding that 也 here works as an emphasis correct?

• I think it's a bit like "still" – Jason Swift Dec 11 '17 at 0:55
  • 汉语800虚词用法词典 宁愿 (副)[oft. preceded by 与其 or followed by 也不 expressing the choice preferred after comparing the advantages and disadvantages of 2 choices] would rather 意义和用法与"宁可"基本相同。但更强调行为主体的意思。(1)我宁愿一辈子过清贫的生活,也决不干那种贪赃枉法的事。(2)他宁愿当一辈子农民,自由自在地在田间劳作,也不愿意进城打工。(3)与其当一个被人们背后唾骂的官员,我宁愿当一辈子普通的教员。(4)我宁愿身居斗室,心底坦然地享受人生,也不愿意住进豪宅而且日思夜虑。(5)"为了免除下一代的苦难,我宁愿,宁愿把敌人的牢底坐穿。"这是一位革命前辈在敌人牢房里写下的誓言。(6)这个女孩儿,为了救母亲,宁愿献出自己的一个肾。 4。用在转折或让步的句子里(常跟上文的"虽然、即使"等呼应),隐含结果相同的意思。[oft. used correlatively with 虽然 or 即使, etc. indicating transition or concession]still;yet (1)虽然你们不再是恋人了,也不能成仇人呀,对不对?(2)虽然你、我们家不很富裕,但父母也为我积攒了出留学的钱 – user6065 Dec 11 '17 at 3:18
  • (3)虽然不同意你的看法,我也不能把自己的观点强加给你呀。(4)即使再苦再累,我也不怕。(5)即使说错了,也没关系,学外语呀,不怕说错,就怕不说(6)即使你不说,我也能理解你的心情。(7)你就是把嘴皮子说破,他也不会改变注意。(8)他就是说得再好呀,我也不会动心的。(9)用不着的东西再便宜也不要买,买了放着也是浪费。(10)这本词典即使再贵也要买,因为实在需要。 – user6065 Dec 11 '17 at 3:18
  • @user6065 Please convert your comment into an answer. – user800 Dec 11 '17 at 17:18
  • 鸭子测试(see Wikipedia if necessary), also if a "comment" is erased and rewritten as "answer" it is dated anew with a much later date – user6065 Dec 11 '17 at 19:08

In this sentence should not be understood individually.In Chinese 宁愿...也... is a coordinating conjunction. It means a choose relationship. You choose the option behind 宁愿 and you give up the option behind .

I think it seems like rather...than... in English.宁愿冻死也不穿 may be translated to rather be dead than be wearing the long underwear.

More examples about 宁愿...也...could be see in here;
And More examples about coordinating conjunction in Chinese could be see in here

• Perfect! Thanks for the answer. It seems that often the phrase after 也 comes with 不 on 不愿. – Blaszard Dec 11 '17 at 11:16
  • @Blaszard Thanks for being accepted and I'm glad to know that you seek out the regularity. – Jian Dec 12 '17 at 9:55

Refer to the definition 3 in this dictionary:

1. 在复句中表转折意:虽然你不说,我~能猜个八九不离十。

也 is used as the adverbial of concession, like the English word although. 也 follows the result or conclusion.

• actually, I think it is just 'and' – Pedroski Dec 12 '17 at 3:57

If it makes it easier to remember, you can relate this usage to the more common gloss of 'also': "[in situations where] people are freezing to death, they'd also prefer not to wear [them].

Or in more natural English: "... won't wear them even if they're freezing to death."

It could be better understood as "still" here in our context.

Even if I get frozen, I "still" would not wear it.

Edit: in the cold light of morning:

I agree with Jian: 宁愿 A 也不愿B: would rather A than B

Literally: 宁愿A也不愿B would want A and not want B

很多人
A lot of people
因为害怕穿秋裤显胖,
because they are afraid of appearing fat if they wear long-johns,
宁愿冻死也不穿。
would rather freeze to death than wear them.

(I prefer fat-looking but warm!)

• It is 宁愿...也不... not 宁愿...也... – 賈可 Jacky Dec 11 '17 at 11:45
  • Correct, I slipped up there, must be the cold! – Pedroski Dec 12 '17 at 0:06
  • 其实, 是不是这样的: "宁愿A也不愿B" 愿 = 希望?? – Pedroski Dec 12 '17 at 0:17
  • 愿 means 愿意, or 想要, to wish, to want, willing (to do sth), like the lyrics in the song 童话 fairy tale: 我愿变成童话里你要的那个天使 means I wish to be the angel you need in fairy tale. – 賈可 Jacky Dec 12 '17 at 1:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.