Recently I noticed that a young girl waited for several hours, so as to be able to pass the break with my younger colleague. So my friend and I took a walk outside.

Though this is not something I expect to have to explain, I still wondered how to politely express it. Obviously I don’t mean they had anything improper in mind. But they could talk without everyone listening.

Would 尊重兩人隱私 sound improper? What are polite expressions?

让他们讨论自己的事情,我们最好别管闲事吧! – user6065 Dec 13 '17 at 0:37

"Give them some privacy" = "給他們一點私人空間吧"

私人空間 means "private space", To give a person some private space means to leave him alone for a while.

你(你们)能回避一下吗?or 你(你们)方便回避一下吗?more politely asking. If you meant they want to have some privacy and can nicely ask others to leave.

If I get your gist correctly, 3 people are waiting, then a boy arrives, who the girl really wants to see. You say to the other person or persons present:

Let's go outside so they can talk in private.
我们到外面去,让他们单独谈谈。

How about a less direct translation:

不要在那儿当电灯泡。

which roughly translates to something like: don't be a third-wheel over there.

• exact translation in bkrs: 电灯泡 2) slang unwanted third party accompanying courting couple; chaperone – user6065 Dec 13 '17 at 6:46
  • A Chinese-English Dict also gives third-wheel, like I wrote above, for their definition. – user3306356 Dec 13 '17 at 7:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.