In China there is a kind of tea called Longjing. But can we call it Dragon Well tea? Because I heard that in foreign countries a dragon does not have a positive image.

• Many Chinese words may not be translated character by character, for the name itself had a long history, and some names are abbreviated words. The word 龙井 means the water well (井) that a loong (龙, Chinese dragon) lives in, if you translated as Dragon Well, it is an ambiguous name. Also, the province name 江苏, comes from the city names 江宁 and 苏州. – 賈可 Jacky Dec 29 '17 at 11:54
  • 很好喝的茶,我每天都喝完整壶龙井茶! 问题:一条住在井里的龙不是鱼吗?为什么不叫‘鱼井茶’? – Pedroski Dec 30 '17 at 0:42

No, Longjing is a term of tea. It is a specific type of tea.

If you talk to people Dragon Well, they don't think you are talking about tea but a real well called Dragon.

Not really sure what the question is asking, but here’s what I’ve pieced together anyway:

Babelcarp does have this entry:

Translation

龙井 (Long2 Jing3) = (龙井 or 龍井) Dragon well (wok-fired flat-leaf lücha, canonically from Xi Hu in Zhejiang)

I would assume in some circles it’s a valid translation but I wouldn’t know which circles those would be.

Wikipedia also mentions:

Longjing tea.....sometimes called by its literal translated name Dragon Well tea, is a variety of pan-roasted green tea from the area of Longjing Village near Hangzhou in Zhejiang Province, China.

Amazon (USA) is also selling:

Golden Moon Tea - Dragon Well Tea - Organic - Loose Leaf - Non GMO - 2oz Tin - 24 Servings

With the words Dragon Well printed largely on the label.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.