There seems to be a habit of dropping /ŋ/ initials in topolects/dialects for fear of seeming like a redneck.

Consider:

• Canto: 屋 nguk1 vs. uk1 [the new ABC Cantonese dictionary only gives the uk1 even]

• Southwest Mandarin: 欧 ngou1 vs. ou1

Some claim this is 老派 vs. 新派 but from my experience it's been considered 土 vs. 洋.

Why does the /ŋ/ initial give people a hillbilly-type feeling?

• Can you provide a citation for this consideration? And where is this attitude held, Hong Kong, Guangdong, or some other place? Among younger people or older? – congusbongus Jan 3 '18 at 5:38
  • @congusbongus I'll see if I can find anything that backs up my consideration, might be tough, though. – user3306356 Jan 3 '18 at 8:21
  • zhihu.com/question/23541509 除了老一辈,你是找不到发/ng/音的 -- maybe something like that but slightly off topic really – user3306356 Jan 3 '18 at 8:24
  • There are so many /ŋ/ initials in our Xi'an dialect, like 我 nge, 安 ngan, 欧 ngou, etc. – 賈可 Jacky Feb 2 '18 at 16:18
  • @賈可Jacky is it considered 土? – user3306356 Feb 2 '18 at 16:52

I noticed that there's a tendency to drop initial /ŋ/ in Wu (Shanghainese), but I always ascribed it to the proximity of the word to Mandarin:

Mandarin: wo3
Wu: (吾) ngu34

Mandarin: wai4
Wu: nga53

Whereas it is clearly voiced when it occurs in more language-specific words or single syllables (obviously):

Mandarin: ying4
Wu: ngang53

Mandarin: wu3
Wu: ng34

Mandarin: yu2
Wu: ng34

• How about any stigma attached to /ŋ/ initials in Wu? Does it sound more "土"? – user3306356 Jan 3 '18 at 12:25
  • I believe it's exactly the opposite: they are very proud people and outside of their home they speak dialect whenever they can as a sign of belonging. They even do it in formal circumstances. – blackgreen Jan 3 '18 at 12:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.