I am looking for Chinese language soft subtitles for domestic tv dramas (e.g. 白夜追凶) for language learning purposes. While domestic tv has captions hardcoded onto the broadcast, it is inconvenient to use these with dictionary tools as handwriting recognition is cumbersome and optical character recognition is unreliable.

Search engine efforts have not been fruitful as the vast majority of Chinese language soft subtitles appear to be for foreign media.

Thank you for reading!

• I wouldn't hold my breath for soft subtitles for domestic TV. There isn't much use for them for anyone apart from learners really. Foreign TV & movies on the other hand, has tons and tons of resources. – Mo. Jan 7 '18 at 4:24
  • True but I was hoping that someone might know of a source since the sinosphere internet is large. For example, Soft subtitles for domestic TV are common in Japan since their broadcast television networks transmit captions for the hearing disabled on a different transport stream. – anonynamja Jan 8 '18 at 17:45
  • When you say "soft subtitles", do you actually mean closed captions? The technical term for subtitles that are always visible is open captions. – Tsundoku Jan 17 '18 at 18:56
  • Thank you and yes. The nomenclature I am employing is from here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitle_(captioning)#Types No, "open captions" are not what I am seeking. Those are readily available in domestic broadcast content. – anonynamja Jan 17 '18 at 20:16

example

Are you looking for subtitles like this? You can try to link

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks but that site is for foreign media, not domestic media. All the entries for 白夜追凶 are not the 2017 domestic tv drama but the 2002 foreign film "Insomnia" of the same (translated) title. It's not what I am looking for. – anonynamja Jan 8 '18 at 17:40

I don't any site dedicated to translate Chinese to English. But there are some programs on YouTube that has bilingual subtitles. Try searching for iApartment on YouTube, it's a show like Friends.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.