This is 张东阁 speaking. I think to understand this, I need to understand the mentality of China in the 1970s, but still, "主题先行" puzzles me. "Themes go first"?? What themes?

我是在上世纪70年代开始剪纸创作。
I started doing paper-cutting last century in the 70s.
当时收到“主题先行”的创作思潮影响,
At that time I was influenced by the "big themes come first" creative tide of thought,
一味追求服务于时代,
I only wanted to serve our country at that time,
抓大题材,
take up the important themes,
抓时代气息,
grasp the Zeitgeist,
因此,
therefore,
在表现手法上大都抛弃了传统剪纸的影响。
in my expressive technique I mostly abandoned the influence of traditional paper-cutting.

• 主题先行 here should be a technical term in 剪纸创作. This might not be a language question, but a technical one. – dan Jan 9 '18 at 2:05
  • just some quick notes: #1 scidict.org/… [电子信息,商业经济,生活,人文] 主题先行 theme first 收藏 跳转到该词 #2 books.google.com/… 影響比較:格里爾遜式與主題先行[Comparison and Influence: Grierson Mode and Subject First] #3 aaa.org.hk/en/collection/search/library/idea-performance-no-5-5 Idea Performance (No. 5), 主題先行 (總第5期)#4 subject choosing – Mo. Jan 9 '18 at 8:05
  • #5 google.com/… 10.Hu Feng Subject View and Subject Advance Thought Probe;胡风的主题观及其主题先行思想试探 – Mo. Jan 9 '18 at 8:10
  • 当时到“主题先行”的创作思潮影响 – tsh Feb 13 '18 at 6:18

主题先行, as you said, it literally means "Themes go first".

But, "70年代" is the Cultural Revolution period, I suppose it refers to the situation that before artistic creation, the central theme has been decided by political factors; people has to do the creation accord with that.

“主题先行”指十年动乱期间,根据政治需要,先确定所谓的“主题”,然后再根据“主题”的要求填进“人物”和“情节”,使“主题”得以表现的一种文学创作方法。

| improve this answer | |
  • different time period: baike.baidu.com/item/%E4%B8%BB%E9%A2%98%E5%85%88%E8%A1%8C “主题先行”指民国白色恐怖动乱期间... – user6065 Jan 9 '18 at 2:54
  • @user6065 It's not the case for OP, who said it's "70年代". – user4072 Jan 9 '18 at 2:58
    @user6065 Do not trust baike.baidu. Many like this one are maliciously tampered. – Kabie Jan 9 '18 at 4:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.