I can see that it have an equal number of strokes above and below the yi stroke not part of the blood radical. I am not sure of what this character is..I mean..I know 高兴, that is the closest that I know.

If you would like read at where this question a rose from, you are invited for a reading. haha.

恰合

叶 部 让 拟 囡 过 烨 补 让 袮 囝 过 也 不 让 倪 难 国。 伙 的 保 护 神 真 格 潨 聚 合 和 合 力 合 合 理 威 容 故 亦 变 奕 闻 达 的 问 答。 圈 圏 变 変 合 圆 也。 尔 过。 翼 加 医 家 一 家 怡。

• 益 radical:皿,dish,top, bottom both have 5 strokes, 血 itself is a radical, according to 小马词典 there are 3 characters, 血衅衄 with radical 血 – user6065 Jan 11 '18 at 8:50

Outlier gives the following definition:

FORM

益 depicts a bowl (皿) with water (enter image description here) flowing out of it, representing the original meaning “abundant, more than enough.”

With a reference to page 147 of:

裘錫圭,1991《文字學概要(再版)》,臺北市:萬卷樓,2006年2月再版8刷。

It then continues:

COMPONENTS

enter image description here

In 益, enter image description here “flowing water” is a form component.

In 益, 皿 “bowl” is a form component.

Original forms looked something like:

enter image description here

It goes to show that the entire thing was originally the meaning part.

Basically, the top 益 is 水 written sideways. I'd also recommend @AbeShudug to see this: humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/… - useful website to check for glyph origins. Their explanation given on the oracle bone character is: 甲骨文「益」從「皿」從「水」,會器皿中水滿而溢出之意。本義是溢出,是「溢」的初文,引申為増益、利益。, which matches the Outlier definition exactly. – dROOOze Jan 11 '18 at 15:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.