Suppose that the following example:

报名截止日期2月17日。

In these cases that take a date as the predicate, I usually see 为 instead of 是. Both mean "is" and I already learned 为 is more formal than 是.

However, I feel I have only seen 为 if it takes a date on its predicate. So I wonder whether it must be 为 if you take a date as the predicate or it is just a coincidence.

Also, is there any case that 为 must be used in the usage of “is” or “be”, not just because of "formal"?

'为' in "印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸统称~四大发明" follows the verb 称(be called). It is not equivalent to 'is' but 'as' – Tang Ho Jan 26 '18 at 17:18
  • "are called" ("called as" ?), "call sth sth" example of "Double Accusative Construction", which may correspond "V+N+as+N" for some other verbs, "denominate sth. as sth (?)", in the present it might be argued that 为 in E corresponds to "nothing" – user6065 Jan 26 '18 at 21:21

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/characters/466/

[3] [v] be; is; be equivalent to

为 has many different meanings, "is" (是) is just one of them.

You can replace '为' with '是' if you are using it as 'is' in the context.

• 报名截止日期为2月17日。(literary)

• 报名截止日期是2月17日。(colloquial)

Also, is there any case that 为 must be used, not just because of "formal"?

You must use '为' instead of '是' when '为' doesn't mean 'is' in the context.

For example:

• '为' in "印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸统称为四大发明" follows the verb 称(be called). '为' here is not equivalent to 'is' but 'as'.

• You cannot say "印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸[统称]古代中国四大发明"

• But you can say "印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸, []古代中国四大发明" or "印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸[]古代中国四大发明"

because [印刷术、火药、指南针、‌​纸] [is] [古代中国四大发明]

EDIT:

If it is a written announcement, no matter what the predicate is, you should use 为.

Posting '报名截止日期[是]2月17日' or '报名费用[是]成人二十元,老人和儿童半价' is considered bad vocabulary choice (using colloquial term when it should be literary)

If it is an oral conversation, no matter what the predicate is, you should use 是

Telling someone '报名截止日期[为]2月17日' or '报名费用[为]成人二十元,老人和儿童半价' is also considered bad vocabulary choice (using literary term when it should be colloquial)

• Thanks but I meant 为 in the use of “is”. I know it is also used as “as” but it is not in the scope of my question. I updated it to make it clearer. – Blaszard Jan 26 '18 at 20:26
  • If the meaning is 'is', then using '为' is more literary and using '是' is more colloquial. As I stated in my answer. They are interchangeable , as the two example sentences showed. – Tang Ho Jan 26 '18 at 22:04
  • Yes I know it is. But my question is about the date (or number I think as well). Is there any difference if the predicate is a date or not, regarding which verb to use? – Blaszard Jan 27 '18 at 11:27
  • See my edition at the bottom. – Tang Ho Jan 27 '18 at 13:21
    It is OK. to use 是 in literary form, for example, in written dialogue. But in an announcement, it is not a good choice of vocabulary; It is also OK. to use 为 in oral conversation if you are treating it like a quote or when you read from a written text. – Tang Ho Jan 27 '18 at 14:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.